Medical heating and cooling concession

Scan and email your completed application to Processing delays will apply to applications received by post.

The Medical Heating and Cooling Concession assists South Australians on a fixed or low income who have a clinically verified medical condition which requires the frequent use of heating or cooling in the home to prevent the severe worsening of their condition.

The concession amount is currently $263.15 a year. It is indexed each financial year.

The concession is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession.

How to apply

1. Eligibility

Check if you're eligible to apply.

2. Application form

Download the Medical Heating and Cooling Concession - Application Form (257.3 KB PDF) or phone the Medical Heating and Cooling line on 1300 735 350 and ask for a form to be sent to you.

3. Complete with medical practitioner

Complete and sign the application form with your medical practitioner.

Medical Heating and Cooling Concession Clinical Guidelines (120.2 KB PDF)

4. Submit the application

Email the form to


To be eligible, you must:

  • live at the address on the application form
  • have, or be the parent or legal guardian of, a child who has a qualifying medical condition requiring cooling or heating to prevent severe worsening of their condition
  • provide certification from your medical specialist or general practitioner that the medical condition is severely worsened by hot or cold weather
  • use an air conditioning unit at that address to meet your medical heating and cooling requirements
  • be financially responsible for the full or part payment of the energy bill
  • hold an eligible concession card or receive an eligible Centrelink payment.

Eligible cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • DVA Gold Card
    • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
    • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
    • War Widow
    • issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Eligible Centrelink payments:

  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Youth Allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Community Development Program (CDP)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance (FHA)
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.




Medical Heating and Cooling line - 1300 735 350
ConcessionsSA Hotline - 1800 307 758

Interpreting and translating

To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023