Retirement villages - information for operators
Operators need a sound knowledge of the Act and Regulations to manage a retirement village.
The Retirement Villages Act 2016 and the Retirement Villages Regulations 2017 commenced on 1 January 2018.
Review of the Retirement Villages Act 2016
The Retirement Villages Act commenced on 1 January 2018 and was required to be reviewed after three years.
The report on the outcomes of the review (PDF 863KB) was tabled in Parliament on 18 November 2021 and the department has published its response to the review (PDF 428KB).
Retirement Villages (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill community consultation
A public consultation on the draft Retirement Villages (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill, which proposes to amend the Retirement Villages Act 2016, ran from 31 March to 19 May 2023.
The consultation provided an opportunity for stakeholders to consider whether the proposed changes achieve the intent of the review recommendations, and if any additional changes to the legislation are needed before the Bill is introduced in Parliament.
The consultation is now closed, and community feedback is being considered to finalise the draft Amendment Bill before it's introduced to State Parliament.
Information for operators
For information about your obligations and rights under the Act and Regulations download ‘Retirement Villages Act 2016 – Information for Operators (830.3 KB PDF)’. The topics in this booklet are also available in the individual information sheets below.
If you have questions please phone Office for Ageing Well on 8204 2420 for information on the following:
- Retirement Villages Act 2016 (168.8 KB PDF) – an overview of the Retirement Villages Act 2016 which commenced on 1 January 2018
- Code of conduct (154.7 KB PDF) – information about the code of conduct for both residents and operators in retirement villages
- Consultation with residents (170.8 KB PDF) – information on how operators can properly consult with residents about matters affecting their residence in the retirement village
- Disclosure statement (205.3 KB PDF) – information on the requirements of operators to provide prospective residents with a disclosure statement before they enter into a residence agreement
- Documents to be provided to prospective residents (163.3 KB PDF) – information on the documents which operators must provide to prospective residents at least 10 business days before entering into a residence contract
- Exemptions (175.8 KB PDF) – information about exemptions from a specific provision in the Act
- Exit entitlements (304.8 KB PDF) – information relating to leaving a retirement village and the relicensing of a residence
- Financial reporting and responsibilities (321.3 KB PDF) – information on the operator’s obligations to residents with regard to the presentation of a village’s income and expenditure
- Organisations to contact for advice (187.3 KB PDF) – information on where to obtain independent information and advice for prospective residents, residents and operators
- Premises condition report and vacated premises reports (276.2 KB PDF) – information about the requirements to provide a premises condition report and vacated premises report to residents
- Remarketing policy (384.1 KB PDF) – details of the information required to be in a retirement village’s remarketing policy
- Residence contracts (424.4 KB PDF) – information regarding residence contracts which details both resident and operator obligations
- Residence rules (227.4 KB PDF) – information on the matters which the residence rules must address
- Residents leaving a village to go into aged care (181.5 KB PDF) – information on eligibility of residents to apply for aged care payments from the operator
- Resolving disputes (207.0 KB PDF) – information and advice on the best way to resolve disputes in a retirement village
- Retirement villages register (178.5 KB PDF) – details of the information to be provided when registering a retirement village
- Termination of a resident’s right of occupation (209.8 KB PDF) – information about the grounds for termination of a resident’s right of occupation and the process to follow
- Transitional provisions (182.5 KB PDF) – information about transitional provisions applicable to the commencement of the Act and Regulations
Forms for operators
Office for Ageing Well must be advised of changes to information held on the register about retirement villages in South Australia and operators of the villages.
Forms for the Retirement Villages Register:
- Proforma 1 - Notification of Information required for Register (New Village) (270.2 KB PDF)
- Proforma 1b - Information for Register - Change of Operator (244.5 KB PDF)
- Proforma 1c - Notification of Information Required for Change of Register Details (261.3 KB PDF)
- Proforma 2 - Notification of Amended Information required for Register (Additional stage within a retirement village) (205.8 KB PDF)
Better practice guidelines
A benchmark of good practice can help operators prevent or resolve issues and to promote good relationships between operators and residents.
Enforcement framework for retirement villages
Retirement village disputes - South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT)