Registry office wedding ceremonies
Consumer and Business Services (CBS) offers a modern marriage room if you would like a simple ceremony performed by our marriage celebrants.
Wedding ceremonies in the registry office are limited to 30 people, including the couple, their two witnesses, the guests (including children) and any photographers.
Before your wedding day
Before your wedding day, you'll need to:
- Lodge a notice of intended marriage with supporting evidence at least one month before the wedding.
The notice remains valid for up to 18 months.
- Pay the total fee for getting married in the registry office - $362.00 (includes notice of intended marriage and ceremony fees).
- Book the date and time of the ceremony - wedding ceremonies are performed Monday to Friday at:
- 2:00 pm
- 2:45 pm
- 3:30 pm
You'll receive a ceremonial certificate on your wedding day. This certificate isn't always accepted as proof of a name change and you might need to apply for an official marriage certificate.
If you have any questions, call 131 882 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your wedding ceremony
Wedding ceremonies are performed at:
6 Chesser Street
Entry to the marriage room is via Chesser Street.
Marriage room photos
What you need to know
- As the couple getting married, you must arrive at least 10 minutes before the ceremony to meet with the celebrant and finish off paperwork. Please ensure all your guests arrive 10 minutes prior also.
- If you don't arrive within 15 minutes of the allocated ceremony time, the ceremony will be cancelled and will need to be re-scheduled. A re-booking fee may apply.
- You are legally required to have 2 witnesses at your ceremony who speak and understand English. They must be 18 years or older and know either party. The registry office does not supply witnesses.
- The ceremony takes 10 to 15 minutes, and extra time is available for you to share the moment with your guests and take photos.
- Music is provided by the registry. If you would like to provide music of your own choice, you can do this via Bluetooth, USB, AUX or CD. Please speak to one of our marriage celebrants.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the marriage room or waiting area.
- No one is allowed to throw confetti, rice or rose petals in the marriage room, waiting area or on the pavement outside.
If either person doesn’t speak or understand English, you will need to arrange a NAATI accredited interpreter before your wedding day. The registry office doesn't supply interpreters.
If an interpreter is needed but isn’t at the ceremony, the ceremony cannot take place. The interpreter cannot be a witness to the marriage.
The total fee for getting married in the registry office - $228.00 can be refunded if written notice is received at least 14 days before the ceremony date.
If you don't cancel in time, you'll need to pay a $55.00 cancellation fee before you can book a new ceremony date.