Registry office wedding ceremonies
Consumer and Business Services (CBS) offers a modern marriage room if you would like a simple ceremony performed by our marriage celebrants.
Before your wedding day
Before your wedding day, you will need to:
- lodge a notice of intended marriage with supporting evidence at Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) at least one month before the wedding. The notice remains valid for up to 18 months. Notices can be lodged Monday to Friday between 9.00 am and 4.30 pm.
- pay the total fee for getting married in the registry office - $327.00 (includes notice of intended marriage and ceremony fees)
- book the date and time of the ceremony - wedding ceremonies are performed Tuesday to Friday between 10.00 am and 4.30 pm.
You will receive a ceremonial certificate on your wedding day. This certificate isn't always accepted as proof of a name change and you may need to apply for an official marriage certificate.
Your wedding ceremony
Wedding ceremonies are performed at:
Level 2, Chesser House
95 Grenfell Street
- The couple need to arrive at least ten minutes before the ceremony to meet with the celebrant and finish off paperwork. If the couple does not arrive within 15 minutes of the allocated ceremony time, the ceremony will be cancelled and will need to be re-scheduled.
- You are legally required to have two witnesses at your ceremony who speak and understand English. They must be 18 years or older and know either party. The registry office does not supply witnesses.
- The ceremony takes 10 to 15 minutes, and extra time is available for you to share the moment with your guests and take photos.
- Up to 30 guests can be seated in the marriage room with limited standing room.
- The couple can provide music of their own choice.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the marriage room or waiting area.
- Confetti, rice and rose petals cannot be thrown in Chesser House or on the pavement outside.
Speak to our marriage celebrants about anything special you would like to include in your ceremony - eg music you would like to have played.
If either person doesn’t speak or understand English, you will need to arrange an interpreter before your wedding day. The interpreter cannot be a witness to the marriage. The registry office does not supply interpreters. If an interpreter is needed but isn’t at the ceremony, the ceremony cannot take place.
The ceremony fee of pay the total fee for getting married in the registry office - $206.00 can be refunded if written notice is received at least 14 days before the ceremony date. If sufficient notice is not received, a $55.00 cancellation fee will be payable before you can book a new ceremony date.
Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages
Phone: 131 882
91 Grenfell Street
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001