Births, deaths and marriages

Register a relationship

Registering your relationship with Consumer and Business Services (CBS) means that your relationship is legally recognised. It can make it easier to access entitlements and assert your rights, including in medical situations.

Who can register

You can register your relationship if you are 18 years of age or older and in a relationship with another person as a couple. At least one of you will need to live in South Australia. Couples may apply irrespective of their sex or gender identity.

Your relationship can't be registered if you or your partner are:

  • married
  • already in a registered relationship or corresponding law registered relationship
  • in a relationship as a couple with another person
  • related by family.

What you'll need

CBS will ask you:

  • for details about both people in the relationship
  • if you plan to have a ceremony
  • to prove your identity
  • for statutory declarations from both of you, which has been witnessed by an authorised person.


Register a relationship (non-refundable) $108.00
Standard relationship certificate $48.75
Commemorative certificate (includes standard and display certificate) $68.50

How to apply

Apply on the Consumer and Business Services website.

Apply now

Registration information on the CBS website.

What happens next

Your relationship can be registered 28 days after lodging the application and paying the appropriate fees. You can't fast track this registration.

Contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to find out if registering your relationship can support your visa application.

Check with the relevant authorities - eg Australian Passport Office - to find out what evidence is needed if you decide to take on your partner's surname.

Visit Register a change of name for more information.

Registry office ceremony

Couples are not required to have a ceremony when they register their relationship. However, relationship ceremonies can be conducted at Chesser House, performed by registry staff.

Nominate a preferred date for the ceremony in your application. We will give you alternative dates to choose from if your first choice isn't available.

Registry office relationship ceremonies

Withdraw an application

One person or both of you can withdraw the application to register a relationship within 28 days of lodging the form.

How to withdraw

Apply on the Consumer and Business Services website.

Withdraw your registration

Ending a relationship

If a relationship breaks down, either of you may apply to revoke the registration.

Apply to revoke the registration

Related information

On this site

Births, deaths and marriages

Other websites

BDM forms - CBS

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages


131 882

In person

91 Grenfell Street


GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 7 August 2017

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016