Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Driving interstate or overseas
If you intend to drive in another country, you may be required to apply for an international driving permit or obtain a record of your licence so that you can apply for an overseas licence.
An international driving permit enables motorists to drive overseas without further tests or applications. They are required when renting a motor vehicle in many countries and are proof that you hold a valid driver's licence in your home country.
International driving permits:
- are only valid for 12 months
- contain a translation of your driver's licence in nine languages - English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, German, Arabic, Swedish and French
- must be accompanied by a valid driver's licence at all times
- must be applied for before leaving Australia.
Applying for an international driving permit
To apply for a permit in South Australia:
- take a copy of your current driver's licence and a passport-size photograph of yourself into any RAA office
- complete the application form and pay a fee.
Please note, the RAA cannot issue an IDP for an overseas licence holder. An IDP must be issued in the country where the licence was issued and should be applied for before coming to Australia.
Obtaining a record of your licence
If you plan to live overseas and wish to obtain that country's licence, you may need to get a driver licence report.
A driver licence report provides current licence status, issue date, classes, demerit points, offences and any licence enforcements - eg disqualification or suspension.
Before purchasing a Driver Licence Report, please check with the overseas licensing authority regarding its specific requirements for accepting documents.
Replacing a licence while interstate or overseas
If you're a South Australian licence holder currently located interstate or overseas and can't apply for a replacement licence online you need to apply for a photo-kit by writing to:
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001
Fax - 8226 7556 (from overseas +61 8 8226 7556)
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org