Latest bushfire information from the CFS
Drivers and operators
If you are interested in becoming a taxi driver contact an Accredited Taxi Booking Service or the Taxi Council of South Australia to assist you with driver training and to provide information about your application. Training and other requirements may vary depending on whether you are interested in becoming a driver in metropolitan Adelaide or in a country area, or getting accredited for driving an Access Taxi.
For more information on becoming a taxi driver see Driver accreditation.
Chauffeur and special purpose driver or operator
Chauffeur and special purpose vehicles are an integral part of the passenger transport system, providing a personalised service to passengers wishing to book a car and a driver for a special event. Chauffeured vehicles may also be used for corporate bookings and private hire.
The Chauffeured Vehicle Association of South Australia represents the South Australian small passenger vehicle industry. If you would like to operate a chauffeur or special purpose service the Accreditation and Licensing Centre (ALC) can help with advice. You need to understand the requirements for accreditation before purchasing vehicles.
When submitting your Operator Accreditation application you must submit a Plan of Operation to help define the type of service you wish to provide. Based on that information, the ALC will be able to determine what category you would be accredited for and if you or others associated with your service need to apply for driver accreditation and a booking service accreditation.
Ridesharing was introduced in South Australia on 1 July 2016, allowing private vehicles to be used to provide a transport service, offered to passengers through an accredited booking service, generally through a smartphone application.
Any person who has a full South Australian driver’s licence, relevant police clearances and meets the minimum fitness requirements can apply to become a rideshare driver.
If you are interested in applying as a rideshare driver and you are the registered owner of the vehicle you will be using, you need both driver and operator accreditation and you will be responsible for your vehicle inspections, insurances and accreditation.
If you’re not the registered owner of the vehicle, for example, if you have arranged with a family member to use their car. The registered owner of the vehicle is the person legally responsible for its use as a passenger transport vehicle and is required to have operator accreditation, and must arrange vehicle insurances to cover the rideshare driver.
Large passenger vehicle drivers
A large passenger vehicle is any vehicle that has 13 seats or more. This may include chauffeured limousines with a seating capacity of 13 seats or more and all sizes of buses, including private tour buses or government contracted bus services providing a passenger service to the metropolitan area.
To apply for driver accreditation for a large passenger vehicle, you need to have held any class of Australian Drivers licence for a minimum period of six months.
There are two types of booking service accreditation you can apply for:
- centralised booking service for taxis
- transport booking services for rideshare and chauffeured vehicles .
DPTI must provide accreditation for you to operate a booking service.
Contact the Accreditation and Licensing Centre for information and assistance with applying for booking service accreditation.
- MR82 Application to Change the Compulsory Third Party Insurance Premium Class on Registration
- MR311 Application for Operator Accreditation
- MR325 Plan of Operation
- MR1238 Application for Country Taxi Operator Accreditation
MR82 Application to Change the Compulsory Third Party Insurance Premium Class on Registration
- MR1504 Application to Change Number Plates and Premium Class for Public Passenger Vehicles
- MR1648 Notification to Cancel Operator Accreditation
- MR35 Application for a Replacement Number Plate
- MR310 Receipt for a Payment of Annual Instalment for Operator Accreditation
- MR312 Application for an Operator to Add or Delete a vehicle
- MR313 Application for a Taxi Operator to Substitute a vehicle
- MR314 Authority to Issue New Replacement Small Passenger and Taxi Number Plates
- MR318 Application for a Taxi Licence
- MR319 Application for Issue of Standby Taxi Licence
- MR320 Application to Commence or Terminate a Taxi Lease
- MR327 Application for Approval to Operate a vehicle Beyond the vehicle Age Limit and or Distance Travelled