Commercial marine pilotage licence
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) is the National Regulator of the National System for Domestic Commercial Vessel Safety.
AMSA provides all national system certification services. This includes certificates of competency (crew), certificates of survey, certificates of operation and exemptions.
For more information about the national system, including guidance notices and application forms, visit the AMSA website or phone AMSA on 1800 627 484.
Delineation of smooth and partially smooth waters
The delineation of smooth and partially smooth waters is set out under the Harbors and Navigation Regulations 2009.
The Government of South Australia is responsible for managing local waterways, including pilotage.
In South Australia, a vessel 35 metres or more in length must not be navigated within a 'prescribed area' (compulsory pilotage area) unless one of these applies:
- the vessel is navigated under the control or at the direction of a licensed pilot
- the master of the vessel holds a Pilotage Exemption Certificate
- the vessel is a Royal Australian Navy vessel.
If a vessel is navigated in contravention of these requirements, the owner and the master are each guilty of an offence under the Harbors and Navigation Act 1993.
Pilotage application forms
- Application for a Marine Pilot's Licence
- Application for a Pilotage Exemption Certificate
- Certificate of Medical Fitness for Pilotage Qualifications
- Eyesight Certificate for Pilotage Qualifications
- Character Declaration for Pilotage Qualifications
To enquire about applying for a Pilotage Exemption Certificate or a pilot licence, email email@example.com.
Effective 1 July 2022
Pilotage exemption certificate
Marine Safety SA
13 Kateena Street
Regency Park SA 5010
PO Box 2526
Regency Park SA 5942
Phone - 1300 183 046
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
On this site
For information relating to other marine services provided by Marine Safety SA please visit Marine Safety.