Register for housing

Register for public and community housing


Everyone on your registration of interest form must:

To be eligible for Aboriginal housing you must also confirm you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.

Additional criteria may also apply if you are registering interest in community housing.

You can ask for special circumstances to be taken into consideration if you don't meet the criteria. A housing needs assessment will be undertaken. 

You are not eligible for public housing if you have previously been excluded from public housing due to disruptive behaviour. 

If you have a debt with Housing SA, you must make an arrangement to repay it and keep the arrangement before you can be offered public housing.

Multiple household groups

If your household has more than one household group - eg a couple with a child and an elderly parent who is financially independent, both households must meet the basic eligibility criteria or have needs or special circumstances.

Before you start

If you have special circumstances which you want to be considered, include evidence of this.

How to register interest

In both public and community housing

Housing SA will become your primary contact organisation for all enquiries relating to your registration.

You can choose to register for just public housing or both public and community housing at the same time. This does not include registering your interest in Volunteer Member-Tenant Managed (VMTM) organisations (previously know as Housing Co-operatives).

If you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, you can choose to register for general public housing or the Aboriginal rental housing program.

To register:

  1. Identify the areas you would like to live in.
  2. Complete the public and community housing registration of interest form (221.5 KB PDF)
  3. Return your signed form and supporting documents to any Housing SA office or by post.

In community housing only

If you are registering interest in community housing only, you can identify your preferred community housing provider.  It will become your primary contact organisation for all enquiries relating to your registration. Once registered with your primary contact organisation, other community housing providers with houses in areas you have identified may also contact you.

To register:

  1. Contact your preferred community housing provider to discuss your needs and to get help completing a registration of interest form. (Forms for community housing only are only available directly from community housing providers.  To register for public and community housing see the section above).
  2. Return your signed form and supporting documents to your chosen community housing provider.

In housing cooperatives

Volunteer member-tenant managed housing is a type of community housing.  The organisations are not-for-profit housing providers democratically managed by their members (who are usually also tenants) in line with the International Cooperative Principles.

Member-tenants must actively participate, co-operate and communicate with other member-tenants to run their VMTM housing provider.  This requires a significant commitment, up to 12 hours per week, depending on the role and activities required.

Member-tenants are responsible for all aspects of running and managing the VMTM housing provider.  This includes making decisions about and carrying out functions related to:

  • Governance
  • Risk management
  • Member and tenant selection and management
  • Maintenance and property management
  • Tenancy and rent management
  • Debt recovery
  • Organisational finance
  • Administration and day-to-day running of the organisation
  • Legal and organisational compliance

Email the Community Housing Council of South Australia or phone on 8362 1022 if you have any questions about the responsibilities of living in VMTM housing.  

To register:

  1. Identify the provider you think is right for you.  Make sure they have properties in the areas you are seeking.
  2. Complete the VMTM Registration of interest form (339.3 KB PDF).
  3. Post the completed form and supporting documents to Housing SA.

What happens next

Your registration will be assessed and you will receive a letter telling you if your registration has been accepted or not. You may be asked to an interview to assess your need, or for VMTM registrations, to assess your suitability for membership with the VMTM provider based on your skills and abilities and what you can contribute to the management of the housing provider.

Households with highest needs are offered housing ahead of other households. You may not be offered a place to live if you have a moderate or lower housing need so you may want to consider other types of housing assistance available to you in that case.

You can find more information about other housing on the Housing Services Finder.

Managing your registration

Properties only become available when the current tenants move out. It’s not possible to predict:

  • when this will happen
  • what house types are available
  • the area the house is located.

Updating your details or cancelling your registration

It’s important that you let your primary contact organisation know if your personal or household circumstances change or you want to change or cancel your registration.

Your primary contact organisation is the organisation you registered with – either Housing SA or a community housing provider.

For public and community housing registrations, complete a change of circumstances form if:

  • your address or other contact details change
  • you have legally changed your name
  • you want to remove someone from or add someone to your household
  • there are changes to your income
  • you want to change the type of housing or the area you have nominated
  • you want to cancel a housing registration.

Lodge the form, along with any supporting documents, to your primary contact organisation.

If you are removed from someone else's registration

If you are removed from someone else's registration - eg due to separation - you can register under your own name and ask for consideration of the time your name was listed on the other registration. Discuss your situation with your primary contact organisation.

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Find services in your area through the SA Community website.


For an alternative version of a document on this page contact Housing SA.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 25 August 2017

Provided by:
Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016