Having difficulty paying a Housing SA account
If you have a debt to Housing SA you need to pay it in full by the due date.
Contact Housing SA as soon as possible if:
- you can’t pay a debt in full or on time
- you can’t make a scheduled payment.
You may be able to make an arrangement to repay it.
The minimum arrangement amount you can make is:
- 20% of your weekly rent if you’re a Housing SA tenant
- $15 per week for all other customers.
Dispute a debt
Contact Housing SA if:
- you don’t know what the debt is for
- you disagree with the debt or amount.
Most matters can be resolved quickly. If it can’t be resolved, you may be able to appeal it.
Temporary financial hardship
Temporary financial hardship is when you experience an extraordinary circumstance that significantly affects your ability to pay essential living costs such as food, accommodation, medical treatment or education costs.
Extraordinary circumstances can include:
- a loss or significantly reduced primary income
- serious injury or family tragedy
- domestic abuse
- gambling, drug or alcohol addiction
- major property loss due to a disaster like fire or flood
- significant household changes, such as separating from a partner or family visiting for a cultural obligation.
You can apply to Housing SA to make an arrangement at less than the minimum amount if you meet both of these conditions:
- you are in temporary financial hardship
- you have taken all reasonable steps to alleviate your situation, for example you asked family for help, you contacted a financial support service.
You can find financial services in your area on the SA Community website.
How to apply
1. Complete the form
Complete a Temporary financial hardship form .
2. Provide documents that confirm your situation
This could include:
- letters from health professionals
- information from a financial support service
- account statements and bills.
3. Return the form and documents
Return the form and all documents to Housing SA.
Housing SA will contact you to tell you about the outcome of your application.