Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Help in crisis situations
Crisis advice and accommodation
Eligibility for crisis accommodation for you and your family will depend on your circumstances. Crisis response services provide assistance for your immediate safety and security. They are confidential, however, where there is a legitimate reason, guidelines allow for information sharing without your consent, to help keep you, your children and others safe.
Contact (24 hours, 7 days a week - freecall from a landline)
These services will assess your situation and work with you to find the best option to suit your needs.
- Homelessness Gateway (including families) phone 1800 003 308
- Youth Gateway (aged 15 to 25 years) phone 1300 306 046 or 1800 807 364
- Domestic Violence and Aboriginal Family Violence Gateway phone 1300 782 200 or 1800 800 098
You can also contact a specialist homelessness or domestic and family violence service in your area Monday to Friday during office hours,
Who these services are for
You are considered to be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless if you:
- are experiencing or escaping domestic or Aboriginal family violence
- have trouble maintaining your housing
- have been released from institutional care, like a hospital or prison and have nowhere to go
- are sleeping rough, in a car or temporary shelter
- are temporarily sleeping or 'couch surfing' at a friend or family member's place, or living in overcrowded conditions with little or no privacy or security of tenure
- have received an eviction notice
- have separated from your partner and don't have anywhere to go
- are recently unemployed, having problems paying bills, or have fallen behind in your rent or mortgage payments
- are a young person aged between 15 and 25 years and have been kicked out of home.
Longer term assistance provided by homelessness and domestic and Aboriginal family violence services include:
- advice, support and advocacy to secure longer term accommodation for you and your children
- information about, and referral to services that will help stabilise your situation
- referral to education, training and employment services.
On this site
- Shelter SA PICKLE - download the app for online assistance for young homeless people