Help in crisis situations

Crisis advice and accommodation

Contact (24 hours, 7 days a week - freecall from a landline)

  • Homelessness Gateway (including families) phone 1800 003 308
  • Youth Gateway (aged 15 to 25 years) phone 1300 306 046 or 1800 807 364
  • Domestic Violence and Aboriginal Family Violence Gateway phone 1300 782 200 or 1800 800 098

For extreme emergencies contact Police on 000 or 131 444. Monday to Friday during office hours, you can also contact a specialist homelessness or domestic and family violence service in your area.

What happens next

These services will assess your situation and work with you to find the best option to suit your needs. Eligibility for crisis accommodation for you and your family will depend on your circumstances.

Crisis responses provide assistance for your immediate safety and security and are confidential (although guidelines allow for information sharing without your consent to keep you, your children and others safe where there is a legitimate reason).

You are considered to be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless if you:

  • are experiencing or escaping domestic or Aboriginal family violence
  • have trouble maintaining your housing
  • have been released from institutional care and have nowhere to go - eg hospital or prison
  • are sleeping rough, in a car or temporary shelter
  • are temporarily sleeping or 'couch surfing' at a friend or family member's place, or living in overcrowded conditions with no or little privacy or security of tenure
  • have received an eviction notice
  • have separated from your partner and don't have anywhere to go
  • are recently unemployed, having problems paying bills, or have fallen behind in your rent or mortgage payments
  • are a young person aged between 15 and 25 years and have been kicked out of home.

Longer term assistance provided by homelessness and domestic and Aboriginal family violence services include:

  • advice, support and advocacy to secure longer term accommodation for you and your children
  • information about, and referral to services that will help stabilise your situation
  • referral to education, training and employment services.

Related information

On this site

Other websites

  • Shelter SA PICKLE - download the app for online assistance for young homeless people

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 21 September 2017

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018