Registry office wedding ceremonies
Consumer and Business Services (CBS) offers a modern marriage room if you would like a simple ceremony performed by our marriage celebrants.
Before your wedding day
Before your wedding day, you will need to:
- lodge a notice of intended marriage with supporting evidence at Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) at least one month before the wedding. The notice remains valid for up to 18 months. Notices can be lodged Monday to Friday between 9.00am and 4.30pm
- pay the total fee for getting married in the registry office - $291 (includes notice of intended marriage and ceremony fees)
- book the date and time of the ceremony - wedding ceremonies are performed Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 4.30pm.
You will receive a 'ceremonial' certificate on your wedding day. This certificate isn't always accepted as proof of a name change and you may need to apply for an official marriage certificate.
Your wedding ceremony
Wedding ceremonies are performed at:
Level 2, Chesser House
95 Grenfell Street
- The couple need to arrive at least ten minutes before the ceremony to meet with the celebrant and finish off paperwork. You are legally required to have two witnesses at your ceremony. They must be 18 years or older. The registry office does not supply witnesses.
- The ceremony takes 10 to 15 minutes, and extra time is available for you to share the moment with your guests and take photos.
- Up to 20 guests can be seated in the marriage room.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the marriage room or waiting area.
- Confetti, rice and rose petals cannot be thrown in Chesser House or on the pavement outside.
Speak to our marriage celebrants about anything special you would like to include in your ceremony - eg music you would like to have played.
If either person doesn’t speak or understand English, you will need to arrange an interpreter before your wedding day. The interpreter cannot be a witness to the marriage. The registry office does not supply interpreters. If an interpreter is needed but isn’t at the ceremony, the ceremony cannot take place.
The ceremony fee of $183 can be refunded if written notice is received at least 14 days before the ceremony date.
On this site
Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages
91 Grenfell Street
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001