Registry office wedding ceremonies
Consumer and Business Services (CBS) offers a modern marriage room if you would like a simple ceremony performed by our marriage celebrants.
Before your wedding day
Before your wedding day, you will need to:
- register your intent to marry at Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) at least one month before the wedding (this is valid for 18 months) - notices can be lodged between 9.00 am and 4.30 pm
- pay the total fee for getting married in the registration office - $285 (includes Notice of intended marriage and ceremony fees)
- book the date and time of the ceremony - wedding ceremonies are performed Monday to Friday between 10.00 am and 4.30 pm.
You will receive a 'bridal' certificate on your wedding day. This certificate isn't always accepted as proof of a name change and you may need to apply for an official marriage certificate.
Your wedding ceremony
Wedding ceremonies are performed at:
Level 2,Chesser House
91-97 Grenfell Street
- The bride and groom need to arrive at least ten minutes before the ceremony to meet with the celebrant and finish off paperwork. Bring your two witnesses with you. They must be 18 years or older.
- The ceremony takes 10 to 15 minutes, and extra time is available for you to share the moment with your guests and take photos.
- Up to 30 guests can be seated but there is room for other guests to stand.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the marriage room or waiting area.
- Confetti, rice and rose petals cannot be thrown in Chesser House or on the pavement outside.
Speak to our marriage celebrants about anything special you would like to include in your ceremony - eg music you would like to have played.
Arrange an interpreter before your wedding day if they are needed for the ceremony. The interpreter cannot be a witness to the marriage.
The ceremony fee of $179 can be refunded if written notice is received at least 14 days before the ceremony date.