Energy bill concessions
AGL has written to some customers advising them that their energy concession has been cancelled.
If you have received one of these letters please call ConcessionsSA on 1800 307 758, Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
Due to the high number of calls we are receiving, it may take some time to get through.
Please be patient over the coming days as we work our way through your queries.
Eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes can apply for help with the cost of energy bills. The concession covers both electricity and gas payments (including LPG bottled gas) up to $215 per year.
If you live in a residential park you may be eligible for a combined concession for your water, sewerage and energy - see Residential Park Concessions.
The address you are claiming the concession for must be your principal place of residence and your name must appear on the electricity bill. If your electricity account is in joint names, the name of the person claiming the concession must appear first on the electricity bill. If that person's name isn't first, ring the retailer and ask them to change it.
You must not be living with anyone who has an income of more than $3,000 per year, unless they get an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs or they are your spouse, domestic partner or dependent.
You may be eligible if you have one of the following cards:
- a Pensioner Concession Card
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
- War Widow
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
- Low Income Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card
You receive one of the following Centrelink payments:
- Newstart Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Partner Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
- Farm Household Allowance
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.
Before you begin
- a copy of your most recent electricity bill
- if you hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card or a Low Income Health Care Card, a copy of both sides of the card
- your Centrelink Reference Number or DVA pension number if you have either of these.
I don't get a bill from an energy retailer
If you don't get an electricity bill from an energy retailer you'll need to supply copies of other receipts for energy costs - eg LPG receipts or a bill from the operator of a retirement village or complex.
You may need to fill out an EFT authorisation form for the concession to be paid directly into your bank account, if we do not already have your banking details.
How to apply
Complete the form on the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion website.
If you apply online you'll still need to email or post your additional information and your reference number.
1. Complete the form
Download and complete concessions application form or phone the Concessions Hotline 1800 307 758 and ask for a form to be sent to you.
If you don't receive a bill from an electricity retailer you'll also need to complete an authorisation for the concession to be paid directly into your bank account - EFT authorisation form .
2. Submit the application
Email the forms and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Post (no postage stamp required) to:
Reply Paid 292
How payments are made
Housing SA tenants
The energy concessions will be applied to your utility bills.
Your energy concession will be applied directly to your electricity bills.
If you live in a residential park
You will receive a quarterly combined payment for all eligible concessions by electronic funds transfer.
If you live in a retirement village
Depending on the arrangements you have with your retirement village operator, concessions will be:
- paid direct to your retirement village operator
- received as a quarterly payment directly into your bank account
- if you receive an electricity bill in your name from a retailer, your energy concession will be applied to this bill.
When changing energy retailers, contact the Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 or email email@example.com with this information from your first bill:
- name of the new retailer
- account number
- national meter identifier (NMI)
- billing dates.
The concession for the first quarter's energy account will be applied to your next account.
If you move house you must update your address details with Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs before contacting the Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange continuation of your eligible concessions.
Once you have received your first energy bill at your new address, contact the Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 and provide the new account number, national meter identifier (NMI) and billing dates to ensure you receive the correct energy concession amounts.
On this site
Alternative version of documents
Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.
Email - email@example.com