Tenancy bonds

Help paying bond and rent

PR Connect is a service to help eligible people pay bond and rent. This can include bond or rent for:

  • privately rented properties
  • residential parks
  • boarding houses and shelters
  • community housing
  • no premium retirement villages.

PR Connect bonds are usually provided as a bond guarantee and are lodged with Consumer and Business Services (CBS).

Contact Housing SA if you need help paying rent arrears.


To be eligible, you must be renting in South Australia and:

  • have an independent income
  • have a household assessable income that meets income and cash asset limits
  • the rent is less than 50% of your total household income before tax
  • the total property rent isn’t more than $450 per week
  • you don’t have a debt of more than $1,000 with Housing SA
  • you have an arrangement to repay any debt you owe to Housing SA
  • you aren’t bankrupt with a debt to Housing SA
  • you aren’t an overseas student
  • you don’t own or partly own any residential property
  • it won’t break the conditions of an intervention order.

Quick online eligibility check

Housing SA may still be able to help you if you don’t meet the eligibility criteria but have special circumstances - eg homeless, domestic abuse, medical condition.

If your circumstances change, you may no longer be eligible for help paying bond and rent.

You can only apply for your household. Your household is:

  • you
  • your partner
  • any dependent children who don't receive their own income.

Anyone else who will be living in the property will have to complete their own application. This includes:

  • children aged 18 or over who have their own income paid directly to them and who are named on the lease
  • other people you will be sharing the property with and who require help paying bond and rent.

A support worker can help you apply, or apply on your behalf.

Before you apply online

  • If you don’t provide all the information, it can take longer to assess your application
  • Once you start the online application process you must complete it - it's not possible to save the form and return to it later
  • If you submit more than one application, only your most recent application will be assessed.

Proof of identity

If you apply online, Housing SA can contact relevant government departments electronically on your behalf to verify your:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian driver’s licence
  • Australian citizenship certificate.

Otherwise, you can attach copies, pictures or screenshots of your documents that clearly show:

  • your name
  • your date of birth
  • the expiry date.

Check which documents you can use for proof of identity.

Proof of income

You’ll need to provide proof of income for you and your partner.

If you are applying online and receive income from Centrelink, you’ll need to provide your Centrelink reference number.

You can authorise Centrelink to provide your proof of income directly to Housing SA. If this is your only source of income and you select this option, you won't need to attach other proof of income.

Otherwise, you can attach scanned copies, pictures or screenshots of your proof of income that clearly shows your name, your income before tax, and the date.

Attachment guidelines

You'll need to make sure you follow the attachment guidelines when providing your proof of income and identity online.

How to apply


Household type * Please select your household type.

Number of dependants * Please select number of dependants.

Declaration * Please accept the declaration to proceed.

By post or in person

By post or in person

If you can't apply online, download and print the application form.

If you don't provide all the information, it can take longer to assess your application.

Return your completed and signed application form and all your documents to Housing SA.

After your application is approved

Once your application is approved you have 14 weeks to find a place to rent. After 14 weeks your approval will expire and you must re-apply.

Assistance will not be provided if the property rent or bond is more than the amount that has been approved.

If you are responsible for all the rent at a property, the approval will advise the limit of assistance that will be provided for the bond or rent.

If you are sharing, the approval will advise the limit of assistance that can be provided towards your share of the weekly rent.

Approval amounts are the maximum amount of bond and/or rent assistance that may be provided. You should determine what is affordable for you, based on your financial situation.

Provide proof of rent

Get proof of rent by asking your landlord or real estate agent to complete a property owner/agent's declaration form, or you can provide a current lease agreement if it's less than two weeks old.

You must attend a Housing SA office and provide your proof of rent in order to collect your assistance unless approved otherwise by Housing SA.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 7 July 2018

Provided by:
South Australian Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018