Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Learn more

Help paying bond and rent

Use PR Connect to apply for help paying a bond and rent for:

  • privately rented properties
  • residential parks
  • boarding houses and shelters
  • community housing
  • no premium retirement villages.

Housing SA bonds are bond guarantees that are lodged with Consumer and Business Services (CBS).

Check if you're eligible

Housing SA may limit assistance depending on the type of property you want to move into.

Housing SA may still be able to help you if you don't meet the eligibility criteria but have special circumstances, including if you're homeless or escaping domestic abuse.

If your circumstances change you may no longer be eligible for help paying bond and rent.

Eligibility criteria

Who can apply

You can only apply for your household, that is:

  • you
  • your partner
  • any dependent children who don't receive their own income.

Anyone else who will be living in the property has to complete their own application. This includes:

  • children aged 18 or over who have their own income paid directly to them and who are named on the lease agreement
  • other people you’ll be sharing the property with who need help paying bond and rent.

A support worker can help you apply, or apply on your behalf.

Contact Housing SA if you need help paying rent arrears.

What you'll need

If you don’t provide all the information, it can take longer to assess your application.

Once you start the online application process you must complete it. You can’t save it and return to it later.

If you submit more than one application, only your most recent application’s assessed.

Check what you can use for proof of identity.

Proof of identity

If you apply online, Housing SA can contact relevant government departments electronically on your behalf to verify your:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian driver’s licence
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Medicare card
  • Australian change of name certificate
  • Australian visa
  • Immicard
  • Certificate of registration by descent.

Otherwise, you can attach copies, pictures or screenshots of your documents that clearly show:

  • your name
  • your date of birth
  • the expiry date.

Proof of income

You’ll need to provide proof of income for you and your partner.

If you are applying online and receive income from Centrelink, you can authorise Centrelink to provide your proof of income directly to Housing SA by providing your Centrelink reference number. If you receive a pension, benefit, allowance or other income declared to Centrelink such as a wage, you won't need to attach other proof of income.

Otherwise, you can attach scanned copies, pictures or screenshots of your proof of income that clearly shows your name, your income before tax, and the date.

Attachment guidelines

You'll need to make sure you follow the attachment guidelines when providing your proof of income and identity online.

How to apply


Household type * Please select your household type.

Number of dependants * Please select number of dependants.

Declaration * Please accept the declaration to proceed.

By post or in person

By post or in person

If you can't apply online, download and print the application form.

If you don't provide all the information, it can take longer to assess your application.

Return your completed and signed application form and all your documents to Housing SA.

What happens next

Once your application’s approved you have 14 weeks to find a place to rent. After 14 weeks your approval expires and you’ll need to re-apply.

If you move into the property before collecting your assistance, you:

  • may not be eligible to get a bond guarantee
  • won't get any rent in advance.

Approval amounts are the maximum amount of bond and rent assistance that may be provided. You should work out what is affordable for you, based on your financial situation.

Assistance won't be provided if the property rent or bond is more than the amount that has been approved.

Provide proof of rent

Get proof of rent by asking your landlord or real estate agent to complete a property owner/agent's declaration form, or you can provide a current lease agreement if it's less than two weeks old.

Your landlord can complete the Property owner's/agents declaration form (POD) online, or by using one of the following forms:

You must bring your proof of rent, such as an ePOD reference number or lease agreement, into a Housing SA office to collect your assistance unless approved otherwise by Housing SA.

At the end of your tenancy

Housing SA contacts you four weeks before the end of your tenancy to:

  • confirm if you're leaving the property
  • update your details if your lease has been extended.

If you don't respond, Housing SA contacts your agent or landlord two months after your lease agreement ends to confirm if the lease ended or it was extended.

If Housing SA can't contact either you or your landlord within four months of the lease agreement ending, Housing SA initiates the bond refund process through Consumer and Business Services to release the full bond back to Housing SA. If you have a periodic lease, Housing SA contacts you every 6 to 12 months, depending on how long you've had the lease agreement.

If any or all of your bond guarantee's claimed by your landlord, it becomes a debt you owe to Housing SA. Debts may limit the Housing SA services you're eligible for.

Information for landlords at the end of a tenancy

If Housing SA can't contact your tenant, an email will be sent showing any bond guarantees for your properties that are still lodged two months after the lease end date. Complete a tenancy review for each bond guarantee either through the links provided or by calling Housing SA on 131 299.

Where you or your tenant don't update the tenancy details within four months of the lease end date, Housing SA will initiate the release of the full bond through Consumer and Business Services.

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 26 March 2020

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020