Help paying bond and rent

Before you move into a rental property you may need to pay bond and rent in advance. You could be eligible for help with this if you will be moving into:

  • privately rented accommodation
  • residential parks
  • boarding houses and shelters
  • community housing
  • no premium retirement villages.

You, your partner and any dependent children (who don't have an income) can apply on the same application. Anyone else who will be living with you will need to apply separately.

Rent in arrears is available in special circumstances.

  1. Step 1

    Check if you're eligible

    Answer some simple questions about your income, what you own and if you owe money to Housing SA.

    Check eligibility

  2. Step 2

    Prepare your documents

    You'll need proof of income and identity for both you and your partner.

    Initial approval can be given without this proof, but the landlord will only receive the bond and rent in advance once you have provided this information.

    Proof of income

    • Centrelink income – you can provide your customer reference number (CRN). You'll be asked to give consent for Housing SA to check your income.
    • wages – attach your last payslip if you don't receive any Centrelink payments.

    Proof of identity

    You'll need 100 points of ID. When you apply online you can verify your identity using the Document Verification Service or attach copies, pictures or screen shots of documents that clearly show:

    • name
    • date of birth
    • the expiry date.

    Types of proof and attachment guidelines

  3. Step 3

    Apply for help

    Bond and rent in advance is provided at the start of the tenancy. If you've already moved in:

    • you might not be eligible for bond
    • rent in advance is not available.

    Rent arrears can be approved in special circumstances. You will need to apply now, then phone 131 299 to make a Housing Advice appointment.

    Apply now

  4. Step 4

    Find a place to rent

    Once approved, you'll have 14 weeks to find a place. You can reapply if you don't find a property within that time.

    Your approved amount is your maximum amount. This help can't be offered if the bond or total rent of a property is higher.

  5. Step 5

    Landlord or agent confirms rent amount

    Once you have found a property, the landlord needs to confirm the rent amount.

    Confirm rent amount

  6. Step 6

    Provide proof of rent

    You will need to provide Housing SA with proof of the rent amount, usually filled in by the landlord. You can do this using email or in person at your nearest Housing SA office.

    Provide proof of rent

  7. Step 7

    Landlord or agent lodges bond

    The landlord must lodge the bond with Consumer and Business Services within 2 weeks of receiving it. Agents must lodge it within 4 weeks.

    Lodging a bond

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 17 October 2022

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023