Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Learn more

Antisocial behaviour in public housing

If you believe that your safety or the safety of others is at risk, call the police on 131 444 (or 000 in an emergency).

Antisocial behaviour interferes with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of neighbours and residents. It can include, but isn’t limited to, threats, harassment, obscene language, assault, property damage, and making excessive noise.

Noise or activity associated with daily life, such as children playing, isn't considered antisocial behaviour. These issues can usually be resolved by talking to the neighbour or contacting a mediation service for help - see Dealing with disruptive neighbours.

Responsibilities of public housing tenants

As part of their lease agreement, public housing tenants must respect the rights and privacy of their neighbours, and ensure visitors to their home behave properly.

Tenants must not:

  • make excessive noise
  • damage the property or common areas
  • threaten or abuse others
  • use the property for illegal activity.

Lodge a complaint

Lodge a complaint about a public housing tenant’s behaviour with Housing SA.

If your complaint relates to a property that isn't public housing because it's rented privately, Housing SA cannot deal with your complaint.

Start now

You can also make a complaint by phoning Housing SA on 131 299 Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.30 pm, or at any Housing SA office.

If the behaviour is ongoing keep an antisocial behaviour complaint diary.

How complaints are dealt with


When Housing SA receive a complaint, they investigate to see if the conditions of the lease agreement have been broken.

In most cases, Housing SA will contact the tenant to discuss the complaint. The tenant can give the information that will help with the investigation, for example:

  • explain any actions taken to prevent the behaviour, such as asking visitors to leave
  • explain any mitigating circumstances that Housing SA should consider, such as domestic abuse
  • accept the allegations and agree to stop the antisocial behaviour.

Housing SA may also talk to:

  • the person who made the complaint
  • neighbours
  • other witnesses to the behaviour
  • agencies such as police or support services.

Only relevant information is considered.


If the investigation finds the complaint is justified, Housing SA will either:

  • issue a verbal or formal warning and help you put strategies in place to resolve the issue
  • take steps to end the tenancy.

If the decision is to end the tenancy, the tenant will be excluded for 12 months from:

Appealing a decision

Tenants may be able to appeal the decision if they don’t agree with how Housing SA has managed a complaint or made a decision.

For information and advocacy phone the Tenants’ Information and Advisory Service on 1800 060 462

Related information

On this site

Other websites


Antisocial behaviour complaint diary


Housing SA

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 3 January 2020

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020