Getting help at home

Find out what help is available to seniors who want to stay at home.

Types of help available

These types of assistance may be available:

  • cleaning the house and washing clothes
  • nursing and healthcare
  • personal care - eg help with showering
  • delivered meals and shopping
  • maintaining and repairing the home or garden
  • getting around the house - eg ramps, rails and equipment
  • transport.


MyAgedCare is the starting point (for people aged  65 years or older and for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people 50 years or older) to find out if they are eligible for government funded services to stay at home or get  short-term care.

For Aboriginal people - MyAgedCare.

For people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds - MyAgedCare.

Other ways to get assistance

For seniors ineligible for support through through MyAgedCare or are just wanting advice and support from elsewhere there are a number of services available.

Information and assistance

Catalyst Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation providing advice to seniors on independent living and home support.

Aboriginal people

Aboriginal Elders and Community Care Services provide in home and community support services - phone 8346 9155.

Equipment and home modifications

DHS Equipment Program

The DHS Equipment Program funds South Australians who are otherwise ineligible for mobility and support equipment and home modifications, through Commonwealth options (like the NDIS).

Essential medical equipment concessions

Seniors may be eligible for a subsidy to assist with the costs of running essential medical equipment. Use the concession finder to check.

Independent Living Centre

The Independent Living Centre (ILC) provides free information and advice about equipment, technology and techniques to help seniors maintain independence.

ILC also provides a state-wide mobile outreach service, and a continence advice service for people with bladder and bowel problems.

Personal alert system

People can use the Personal AlertSA device to call for help if they are unable to use the phone in an emergency. Some newer devices can detect falls, keep working when you leave the house and find your location in an emergency.

Injured in a motor vehicle accident

The Lifetime Support Scheme (LSS) provides treatment, care and support for people who are seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents in South Australia. Serious injuries include brain or spinal cord injury, amputations, burns and blindness.

LSS provides:

  • aids and equipment eg wheelchairs, mobility aids, adjustable beds, respiratory equipment and communication devices
  • home, vehicle and workplace modifications.

Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels provides meals delivered to older people's homes.

People from CALD backgrounds

Multicultural Age Care help people from CALD backgrounds and their families to make informed decisions about their aged care needs.


The Department of Veterans' Affairs provides a variety of in-home and community support programmes focused on assisting veterans to continue living independently by supporting your health, well being and community connection.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 16 August 2021

Provided by:
Department for Health and Wellbeing
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023