Emergency phone numbers

Dial 000 in an emergency

Emergency phone numbers for Triple Zero — police, fire,  ambulance — and other types of emergencies.

Triple zero (000)

When you call Triple Zero (000):

  • respond to the operator's question 'Emergency. Police? Fire? Ambulance?'
  • stay calm, don't shout, speak slowly and clearly
  • say exactly where to come - give an address or location.

When to call

Examples of when to call:

  • someone is seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help
  • your life or property is being threatened
  • you have just witnessed a serious accident or crime.

When not to call

If a situation is not urgent, you should look up the number of your local police, fire or ambulance service.

Call charges

You will not be charged for calling Triple Zero (000). These calls are free from any kind of phone.

Making calls during a major emergency

Find out what to do in a major event like a severe bushfire or storm if you have trouble making phone calls.

Phone and internet outages


You cannot call 911. This number is used by emergency services in the United States and can’t be used to call emergency services in Australia.

Unable to speak to the operator

You can still receive emergency help if it is not safe to speak, or you cannot speak.

When a 000 caller doesn’t respond to the operator's question 'Emergency. Police? Fire? Ambulance?' the call is transferred to an interactive voice response (IVR). The IVR asks you to press '55' if you require emergency help. If you don’t press '55' after being asked three times, your call will be disconnected.

If you press '55' you will be connected to the police. If you are still unable to speak, the police will attempt to call you back and might also send a patrol car to your address.

Police will use the address for the service (which would usually be either your home or billing address). This means it is important to make sure that your telco has the most up-to-date address details for your phone services.

If you are calling from a mobile service and are not at your service address, police will try to locate you and respond to your request. But this may not always be possible without an address or accurate location information. If you can speak and provide your location, you should do so. This will ensure police can respond quickly.

Advanced mobile location (AML) technology, which can provide latitude and longitude coordinates of the mobile handset location, is available on select Apple IOS (and Watch OS GPS + Cellular) and Android devices. This helps to locate callers who are not calling from their service address.

For more information on AML and to check if your phone is AML-capable, visit the Triple Zero website.

Have a speech or hearing impairment

If you are deaf and/or find it hard hearing or speaking with people who use a phone, the National Relay Service (NRS) can help you - ask for Triple Zero (000).

Difficulty speaking English

Triple Zero does not have translators. If you can’t speak any English, your call will be transferred to the police in your capital city. Once connected, a translator will be arranged.

If you can say ‘police’, ‘fire’, or ‘ambulance’, you will be transferred to the service you requested.

Triple zero information in other languages

Types of phones you can use

You can call 000 from any fixed or mobile phone and certain VoIP (voice over internet protocol) and satellite services.

You can also call 000 from any 'handheld' satellite phone.

You can call 000 using the Emergency+ app on your smartphone. One advantage of using the Emergency+ app to call 000 is that if you don’t know your exact location, the app will use the GPS on your smartphone to help you to give emergency services your location.

The Emergency+ app is available to download free of charge from the Google Play store and Apple App store.

You can call 000 without having to unlock the keypad or key in a PIN on your mobile phone.

How to give your location

From a fixed-line phone

The address details for the fixed-line will automatically appear on the operator’s screen and be given to the emergency service organisation you requested.

From a mobile or VoIP (call from a computer) service

The operator will ask you for the town and state you are calling from. This is because you may not be at your home or billing address.

Use the Emergency+ app

The Emergency+ app can help you if you don’t know your exact location when you call 000.

When you open the Emergency+ app, you’ll see a series of icons for different emergency services in your area. Tap on the relevant icon for your emergency; you’ll get connected to a Triple Zero (000) call taker. When they ask for your location, read out the 3 words displayed at the bottom of your screen in the ‘My Location’ section. Help will then be sent to that exact what3words location.

How it works - what3words

Numbers to call for types of emergencies


In an emergency call Triple Zero (000).

For health advice:

Animal disease

Report illegal activity or suspected sightings of pests or diseases.

Telephone hotlines are provided by the Department of Primary Industries and Regions (PIRSA).

Emergency Response Hotline- for urgent animal issues that cannot be dealt with VET or community services -1800 255 556

Emergency Animal Disease Hotline - suspected disease or pests in livestock, poultry, or aquatic animals must be reported immediately - 1800 675 888

Fishwatch Hotline for information about rules and regulations, licensing and registration, and reporting shark sightings - 1800 065 522

Report suspected Japanese encephalitis virus - 1800 675 888

Recovery Hotline - If you are living with drought or affected by emergency events - 1800 931 314

Boat and marine

If you need a Volunteer Marine Rescue response call police on Triple Zero (000) or 131 444 or if on coastal waters use the VHF Coastal Radio Network.

For diving emergencies, members of the Divers Alert Network (DAN) can call their emergency hotline on 1800 088 200

Jetty damage, navigation, or beacon faults - 1800 018 313

Report marine oil or chemical spills - 8248 3505

Reporting boat incidents

Reporting marine oil spills


Dangerous or life-threatening situations - Triple Zero (000)

Crime Stoppers SA  — report crime anonymously — if you have information that may help solve a crime or about criminal activity:


Dangerous or life-threatening situations - Triple Zero (000)

Contact SA Power Networks to report an emergency or hazard -  phone 13 13 66

Electricity outages


All fires, including bushfires and housefires in emergency situations - Fire - Triple Zero (000)

Phone the Country Fire Service (CFS) Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361 or TTY (teletypewriter or textphone) on 13 16 77 for information on:

  • fire danger ratings
  • fire restrictions
  • fire bans
  • incidents
  • information relating to bushfire survival.

Flood and storm

Dangerous or life-threatening situations - Triple Zero (000)

For emergency help in flood and storm call the SES on 132 500 for assistance, including for:
  • serious damage to a home
  • property at risk of flooding
  • tree has fallen on a car or home.


Gas leaks - 1800 GAS LEAK 1800 427 532 and Triple Zero (000)

Reporting gas leaks and incidents

Health and medical

Emergency situations - Ambulance - Triple Zero (000)

National Coronavirus (COVID-19) Helpline - phone 1800 020 080

Food poisoning - phone 1800 022 222

Health advice - healthdirect for free health advice from trained clinicians 24/7 - 1800 022 222

Health Information Line - phone 1800 020 080

Mental health emergencies - SA Health on13 14 65 or find mental health services in your area

Poisons information - Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26

Health emergencies

Missing persons

Report a missing person at a police station in person or phone 131 444

If you have information on the possible whereabouts of a missing person contact:

Overseas assistance

The Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra provides 24-hour support for Australians with serious and urgent needs. It is also for the friends and family of Australians overseas:

Smartraveller - urgent help

Plant disease

Report illegal activity or suspected sightings of pests or diseases.

Telephone hotlines are provided by the Department of Primary Industries and Regions (PIRSA).

Emergency Response Hotline- for urgent agricultural issues  -1800 255 556

Exotic Plant Pest Hotline - report suspected plant diseases, exotic pests, or noxious weeds - 1800 084 881

Fruit Fly Hotline - 1300 666 010

Agriculture and animal services emergency - 1800 255 556


Emergency situations - Triple Zero (000)

Non-urgent matters - 131 444

Pollution and environment

Report an environmental incident requiring an emergency response to EPA.

Phone the 24/7 hotline on  8240 2004 or for non-metropolitan callers 1800 623 445.

Report suspicious activity

Report anything that doesn't seem right to:


Roads and traffic

Accidents where there is a fire or the need for medical assistance - Triple Zero (000)

Accidents resulting in a traffic hazard - SA Police on 131 444

Major arterial roads (dangerous conditions, road hazards, and signal faults) - Traffic Management Centre on 1800 018 313

Local council roads (dangerous conditions, road hazards) - the local council

Report road hazards and faults


Victim of an online scam:

Cyber security - online scam help


Families can phone the Education department’s emergency information hotline for state school and preschool closures and more information.

Phone - 1800 000 279

A messaging facility is available that is monitored out of hours.

Tree or branch has fallen

Caused damage to a house -SES on 132 500

Damaged powerlines -SA Power Networks on 131 366

Fallen on a vehicle - SES on 132 500

On local roads, footpaths, and parks - the local council


SA Water on 1300 729 283 for burst water mains and sewer blockage or overflow

Water and sewerage


Storm or flood response - SES on 132 500

Related information

On this site

Crisis helplines

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Provided by: SAFECOM
Page last updated 6 March 2023

Provided by:
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023