River Murray flood
Where to find the latest information and advice.
The Government of South Australia was recently informed by its external payroll software provider, Frontier Software, that it was the victim of a cyber incident and that the personal information of South Australian government employees had been accessed from Frontier's corporate systems.
Engaging online is part of everyday life but the online world can give criminals opportunities to steal money, information or identities.
Protect yourself from cybercrime and scams
It's important to be aware of the different types of cybercrime and scams currently happening today, so you can better protect your personal and financial information.
- keep your computer current with the latest patches and updates
- make sure your computer is configured securely
- choose strong passwords and keep them safe
- protect your computer with security software
- protect your personal information
- check online offers as those that look too good to be true usually are
- regularly review bank and credit card statements for suspicious activity.
Important information from the Australia Cyber Security Centre (ACSC):
- alert service keeps you up-to-date about the latest online threats
- step-by-step guides - basic cyber security instructions for individuals and families covering specific software, applications and devices.
The ACSC website also provides general advice for:
- individuals and families
- small and medium businesses
- organisations and critical infrastructure
Online scam help
Contact your bank
If you have sent money or personal banking details to a scammer or if someone has made an unauthorised transaction using your account, contact your bank immediately.
Recover your identity
If you think you have been the victim of identity theft, you can get help from IDCARE, a free national not-for-profit identity and cyber support service. Phone a counsellor on 1800 595 160 or check out their Cyber First Aid Kit and Learning Centre.
How to report
Cybercrime reporting is managed by the Australian Cyber Security Centre. ReportCyber is an online system that allows people to securely report cybercrime instances and online incidents that may have breached Australian law.
Report a cybercrime on the Australian Government's ReportCyber website.