Apply to modify a light motor vehicle
You need approval to modify a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) up to and including 4,500 kg.
If your motor vehicle has GVM greater than 4,500 kg you'll need to contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator - phone 1300 696 487.
Before making any modifications it is recommended you contact Vehicle Standards.
What you'll need
To apply you will need to provide:
- vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number, if known
- vehicle make, model, body type, and year of manufacture, if known
- details of the modifications
- verification of registration in Australia.
If the application is for:
- a vehicle that has been converted from left-hand drive to right-hand drive, you will need to provide an engineering assessment report prepared by a recognised light vehicle engineering signatory
- a vehicle imported from overseas, an import approval document issued by the Australian government Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts
- changing the number of seats, and provide a sketch showing the seating arrangements, before and after the proposed modification.
What happens next
It may take up to 3 weeks from receipt of all the relevant information for Vehicle Standards to review your application and provide advice back to you.
If you apply using your mySAGOV account, you can check the status of your application.
Contact Vehicle Standards
Provided by: Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Page last updated 16 May 2023