Cost of living concession

The Cost of Living Concession helps those on low or fixed incomes with their cost of living expenses, whether that be electricity, water, gas or medical bills.

Eligibility is based on your living arrangements on 1 July. You can apply any time but applications must be submitted by 31 October to receive the concession for that financial year.

If you have previously received a Cost of Living Concession payment and your living and income arrangements have not changed, you do not need to reapply.


The Cost of Living Concession is payable as a maximum amount per household, and can only be made to one person per household.

You may be eligible if:

  • you live at the property
  • on 1 July of the relevant financial year, you either:
    • hold an eligible card
    • receive an eligible Centrelink payment
    • meet low income provisions.

Eligible cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
    • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
    • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
    • War Widow
    • issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth)
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Eligible Centrelink payments:

  • Newstart Allowance
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Widow Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Partner allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Community Development Project (CDP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand

Low income provisions

Low income provisions will become available on 1 July of the relevant financial year.

Concession amount

The Cost of Living Concession amount is indexed each financial year. For the 2018-19 financial year, the concession amount per eligible household is:

  • homeowner-occupiers - $207.30
  • homeowner-occupiers who are self-funded retirees with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - $103.70
  • tenants - $103.70.

Payments for the 2018-19 financial year

All concession payments are made by electronic funds transfer (EFT). You must provide your banking details to receive the concession. Use the online household concessions form to update your banking details or contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758.

  • Eligible homeowner-occupiers, retirement village residents and residential park residents who have previously received a Cost of Living Concession payment will be paid by the end of August 2018.
  • Eligible homeowner-occupiers and retirement village residents, who submit a new application before 31 October 2018, will be paid by the end of 2018.
  • Eligible tenants will be paid by the end of March 2019.

How to apply


Complete the online household concessions form to apply for the Cost of Living Concession and concessions on energy bills and water and sewerage rates.


Update your details using the online household concessions form.


1. Complete the form

Download and complete the concessions application form (276.1 KB PDF) or contact ConcessionsSA and ask for a form to be sent to you.

2. Submit the application

Email the form and supporting documents to

or post (no postage stamp required) to:

Cost of Living Concession
Reply Paid 292
Adelaide SA 5001

What happens next

If your application is approved, your concession will be paid directly into your bank account by electronic funds transfer (EFT).




ConcessionsSA Hotline - 1800 307 758

If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789

Interpreting and translating

To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Concession finder


Are you Eligible for a Concession brochure (217.0 KB PDF)

Alternative version of documents

Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.

Email -

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 29 March 2019

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019