Cost of living concession
The Cost of Living Concession helps those on low or fixed incomes with their cost of living expenses, whether that be electricity, water, gas or medical bills.
Eligibility is based on your living arrangements on 1 July. Applications for the 2018-19 financial year must be submitted by 31 October 2018.
If you have previously received a Cost of Living Concession payment and your living and income arrangements have not changed, you do not need to reapply.
The Cost of Living Concession is payable as a maximum amount per household, and can only be made to one person per household. You may be eligible for the concession for your principal place of residence on 1 July of the relevant financial year if:
On 1 July of the relevant financial year you held one of the following eligible cards:
- a Pensioner Concession Card
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
- War Widow
- DVA Gold Card issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth)
- Low Income Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
On 1 July of the relevant financial year you received one of the following eligible Centrelink payments:
- Newstart Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Partner allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
- Farm Household Allowance
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand
You can demonstrate that on 1 July of the relevant financial year you meet low income provisions. To be eligible for the 2018-19 financial year, an applicant's income from all sources must not be more than the income limits shown below.
|Status||Fortnightly income||Annual income|
|Single with children||$694.40||$18,054.40|
The Cost of Living Concession amount is indexed each financial year. For the 2018-19 financial year, the concession amount per eligible household is:
- homeowner-occupiers - $207.30
- homeowner-occupiers who are self-funded retirees with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - $103.70
- tenants - $103.70.
Payments for the 2018-19 financial year
All concession payments are made via electronic funds transfer (EFT). You must provide your banking details to receive the concession. Use the online household concessions form to update your banking details or contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758.
- Eligible homeowner-occupiers, retirement village residents and residential park residents who have previously received a Cost of Living Concession payment will be paid by the end of August 2018.
- Eligible homeowner-occupiers and retirement village residents, who submit a new application before 31 October 2018, will be paid by the end of 2018.
- Eligible tenants will be paid by the end of March 2019.
How to apply
Use the online household concessions form to apply for the Cost of Living Concession and concessions on water and sewerage rates and energy bills.
Update your details using the online household concessions form.
1. Complete the form
Download and complete Cost of Living Concession application form or phone the ConcessionsSA Hotline 1800 307 758 and ask for a form to be sent to you.
2. Submit the application
Email the form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
or post (no postage stamp required) to:
Cost of Living Concession
Reply Paid 292
Adelaide SA 5001
What happens next
If your application is approved, your concession will be paid directly into your bank account by electronic funds transfer (EFT).
ConcessionsSA Hotline - 1800 307 758
If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789
Interpreting and translating
To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.
Alternative version of documents
Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.
Email - email@example.com