Housing options for people with disability

People with disability have many accommodation options. These include:

  • renting or buying your own home
  • living at home with family or friends as support
  • host family support
  • share houses and boarding
  • public and community housing
  • group homes and cluster housing with 24-hour support
  • supported residential facilities

Living at home

If you live in your own home or with your family you can get help through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Support for carers is available for family members who take on a caring role.

Host families

Established schemes are available where professional carers are paid to provide support to people with disability who live with them.

Share houses and boarding

Some people with disability live with friends or others with similar needs, sharing costs, helping each other with tasks, and providing mutual support.

Others may choose to pay an extra part of the rent or other money in return for help with some tasks.


People who need minimal support can pay board to live in someone's home, with cooked meals, laundry, and cleaning included.

People on low incomes who are renting or sharing accommodation can often receive financial assistance from Centrelink.

Public and community housing

Housing SA and community housing providers provide rental houses for people with disability or medical needs. Houses can include modifications such as accessible bathrooms and entrance ramps.

Public and community housing is for vulnerable, low-income households who can't access or maintain private rental accommodation.

Register for public and community housing

If you already live in public housing you can request modifications to help you live independently.

Group homes and cluster housing with 24-hour support

Group homes are where several unrelated people live in a home with support staff.

This style of accommodation is for people who need 24-hour support, including help with meals, personal hygiene, appointments, and social activities.

Cluster housing is where there are a number of houses on one site with access to 24-hour support through an internal communication system.

The NDIS funds Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) payments to help with the higher cost of specialist disability housing when it is reasonable and necessary support for a person due to extreme functional impairment or very high support needs. This is discussed when the person prepares their NDIS plan.

Supported residential facilities

Supported residential facilities (SRFs) are privately-operated group homes for people who need lower levels of assistance.

Services may include personal care, medication monitoring, meals, laundry, and cleaning.

Fees are based on a person's income.

Eligibility for this accommodation takes into account general health, mental health, personal care needs, and behavioural issues.

The Catalyst Foundation Seniors Information Service has more SRF information, advice and current vacancy listings.

Emergency housing

Emergency housing may be available if you are in a crisis situation.

Phone Homeless Connect SA on 1800 003 308.

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 27 March 2023

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023