Equipment and assistive technology for people with disability
Specialist equipment and assistive technology helps people with disability manage their personal care, communication, mobility, safety and comfort.
Department of Human Services (DHS) Equipment Program
The DHS Equipment Program is managed by Domiciliary Equipment Service (DES).
The Program provides equipment and/or home modifications services to people who are:
- awaiting transition to NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme)
- DHS clients, 65 years of age and over, and are clients of Commonwealth Continuity of Support Programme (CoS)
- DHS clients, 65 years of age and over, and already have equipment or require customised mobility equipment
- requiring an Advanced Palliative Equipment Response (APER).
Contact DES to discuss how to access equipment and home modifications through this program.
Contact DHS Equipment Program
Other ways to access equipment
If you are in hospital and need equipment support to get home, speak with your doctor, nurse or social worker about your options.
You may be able to hire equipment privately through Domiciliary Equipment Service (DES) or other suppliers.
Weekly rental charges (including a once-off delivery charge) apply for DES private hire.
Independent Living Centre
The Independent Living Centre (ILC) provides free information and advice about equipment and technology to help maintain your independence.
From 1 July 2021, the ILC is a service delivered by Catalyst Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation.
Lifetime Support Scheme
The Lifetime Support Scheme provides treatment, care and support for people who have sustained very serious injuries in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault.
National Disability Insurance Scheme
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides support for people under 65 years who are living with disability.
Help with equipment running costs
Both the Australian government and the state government have schemes to help people afford essential medical equipment:
- Essential Medical Equipment Payment - Australian government
- Medical Heating and Cooling Concession - state government.
On this site
Technology for Ageing and Disability (SA) Inc - custom equipment for people with disability