Respite and other support for carers

Ongoing caring can take a toll on your physical and mental health.

Respite care

Regular breaks or respite from caring can help relieve the stress and exhaustion you may feel. Respite allows you to take time out. It gives you an opportunity to relax, relieve the stress and do something for yourself. Respite can also benefit the person you care for by providing different experiences and an opportunity to develop new relationships.

There are different types of respite. The type that will suit you will depend on your caring situation, the needs of the person you care for and the services that are available in your area.

Respite might be for a few hours, a day, overnight or longer. It may occur frequently or be an annual or once-off event.

Some services may be free while others may charge a small fee (in accordance to your income). Residential respite usually costs a standard fee. Private services may be expensive.

Arranging respite care

To find out which organisation services your local  area, call the Carer Advisory Line on 1800 242 636 or use the Carer Support Finder (enter your suburb or post code in top-left corner).

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres can help you with respite co-ordination appropriate to your local area. Call 1800 052 222 during business hours, or 1800 059 059 for emergencies outside business hours.

Other types of support

When thinking about support for carers, many people think only of respite. However, the demands and effects of caring are complex and you may need a combination of different supports.

Many non-respite supports specifically for carers are provided by local carer support organisations. These may vary but commonly include:

  • carer support groups
  • carer retreats
  • counselling, in person and by telephone
  • information and referral
  • advocacy
  • young carer programs.

Arranging other support

To find out which organisation services your local area, either call the Carer Advisory Line on 1800 242 636 or use the Carer Support Finder (enter your suburb or post code in top-left corner).

Information in a different language

If you need assistance with a language other than English, translated information is available in a number of languages, including Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Italian, Persian and Vietnamese. For other languages, contact the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50.

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 19 November 2018

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019