Register for housing

Public and community housing is not emergency accommodation. If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless there are crisis services that can help you.

Public and community housing is mainly for vulnerable and low income households who can't access or maintain other forms of accommodation like renting privately. There are limited numbers of public and community housing available.

Visit HomeSeeker SA to find other services that could help you find a home.

How to register

You can register for all types of public and community housing you are eligible for, or just for public housing.

  1. Check if you are eligible
  2. Confirm the types of housing you want to live in.
  3. Use your Housing Connect account to register for housing.

Don't have a Housing Connect account? Set up an account.

Other ways to register

Who can register

You can register your interest in public and community housing if you:

  • live in South Australia
  • don’t own or partly own residential property
  • have an independent income.

Your household’s income must be less than or equal to the income and asset limits, unless you have special circumstances. There may be more conditions if you are registering for community housing.

You can’t register for public housing if you have been excluded from Housing SA’s services because of:

  • antisocial behaviour
  • an unarranged debt with Housing SA -  make an arrangement to repay a debt to be eligible to register.

Check if you have a debt with Housing SA with your Housing Connect Account.

If there is more than one household group in your registration, for example, a couple with a child and a financially independent elderly parent, both households need to be eligible or have special circumstances.

What you'll need

Provide proof of income and identity for everyone in your household aged 16 and over.

Choose the areas you are prepared to live in:

Give details about any special circumstances you have. You may be asked to provide proof.

Provide confirmation of Aboriginality if you are registering for Aboriginal housing or housing managed by Housing SA in an Aboriginal community.

What happens next

You will get a letter telling you if your registration has been successful. You may be asked to provide more information or attend an appointment to talk about your situation.

Registrations are placed into a category based on your need. People with the highest level of need are generally offered housing first.

Each year Housing SA will write to you to check your registration is up to date. Respond to this letter if you still want to be registered.

Update or cancel a registration

Update your contact details or cancel your registration at any time:

Otherwise, complete a Change of circumstances form (425.6 KB PDF) and return it to Housing SA or your preferred community housing provider.

Changes could include:

  • changing your name
  • adding or removing someone from your registration
  • income changes
  • changing the areas you have registered for.

If you were removed from someone else’s registration, you could be eligible to have your own registration. Contact Housing SA or your preferred community housing provider to talk about your situation.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 13 November 2023

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2024