Residential liquor licence

This licence is for accommodation providers, such as motels and caravan parks, who wish to sell liquor.

When applying you'll need to meet certain requirements and provide a range of documents.

What you'll need

Application fees

Licence summary

A residential liquor licence allows you to sell liquor at any time to:

  • a resident of the premises for consumption on the premises or for takeaway
  • a guest of the resident for consumption on the premises, if the resident is also present
  • a person dining on the licensed premises with, or ancillary to, a meal provided by you
  • a person attending a reception
  • a person attending a function at which food is provided
  • a person seated at a table at the licensed premises.

Your licence may be granted subject to conditions.

Optional additions

Extension of trading area

If you want to sell liquor to be consumed on a footpath or similar outdoor area that's not part of your premises, you'll need to apply for an extension of trading area.

Prescribed entertainment

You'll need to apply for prescribed entertainment consent if you want to host any entertainment that:

  • is sexually explicit
  • involves boxing or martial arts.

Having prescribed entertainment consent will affect your annual fees.

What you'll need


To apply for a residential liquor licence you'll need to upload these documents (a clear photo is acceptable):

If you're applying as:

  • a company, you'll need an Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • a trustee of a trust, you'll need a copy of the relevant trust deed.

Positions of authority

Each person in a position of authority will be required to upload 100 points of ID. More information can be found on the South Australian Police website.

Responsible persons

At all times that the venue is open for trade to the public, it will need to be supervised by a responsible person. This is:

  • the licensee
  • a director of the licensee (where the licensee is a company)
  • a person approved by the commissioner as a responsible person.

If the person you want to supervise your venue is not approved as a responsible person, you can apply for them to be approved. You can do this as part of your licence application.

If a person has already been approved under another current liquor or gaming licence in South Australia, a responsible person application is only required if their circumstances have changed since their last approval.

If the person you want to supervise your venue is already approved you don’t need to do anything further.

Check if someone is approved as a responsible person - you'll need the ID number from their RP badge.

Anyone performing the duties of a responsible person must wear an identification badge (RP badge) issued by the commissioner.

After submitting your application

After submitting your application you must:

  • provide a copy of the permit issued by your local council if you applied for extension of trading area - the permit must be in the applicant's name
  • provide a completed Council Approvals – Liquor Licence Application form (PDF 50.89KB), unless your licence will be restricted to the sale of liquor through direct sales transactions only.

If you don’t have development approval but have been granted planning consent from local council and the venue isn't finished, the commissioner can grant you a certificate and then grant the licence once the venue is complete. There's no additional application to convert your certificate into a licence.

The documents must be lodged seven days before the date that your application will be considered. You'll be advised of this date after you submit your application.

If documents aren't lodged seven days before the date your application is to be considered your application will be adjourned for six months.

What happens next

You can log in to LGO at any time to track the progress of your application.

Some applications are sent to the South Australia Police Licensing Enforcement Branch.

Some are also required to be advertised.

CBS will advise you of the next steps and what you need to do.

Submissions and interventions

If your application needs to be advertised, anyone will be able to submit their concerns and object to the application.

For example, if your neighbours think your business is going to be noisy or if they are concerned your business will have an impact on the neighbourhood they may consider lodging a submission with the commissioner.

The police may also intervene in your application if they have concerns about public safety and disturbance or the fitness and propriety of any person holding the licence.

If all the approvals are in place and there are no concerns raised by any member of the public (submissions) or police (interventions), the application process will take approximately six to eight weeks.

Submissions or interventions must be lodged at least seven days before the determination date.

If anyone submits a concern regarding your application you'll receive a copy.

You may then be asked to submit a response to the commissioner.

In some rare circumstances, you may also be asked to:

  • take part in a conciliation conference with SAPOL (or anyone else who submitted their concerns) and the commissioner or a delegate
  • attend a hearing before the Licensing Court.

When determining a matter, the commissioner or delegate must consider all submissions, interventions and responses.

Conciliation conferences and hearings

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Related information

Other websites

    Advertised notices - CBS

    Was this page useful?

    Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

    Page last updated 4 January 2023

    Provided by:
    Attorney-General's Department
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023