Event endorsement for short term (five year) licence

When applying for a short term (five year) liquor licence you'll need to nominate at least one event for endorsement. Additional events can be added later.

The licence holder needs to apply for the event endorsement.

What you'll need

Application fees

Lodgement timeframes


Each event will be placed into a class, depending on how you want to trade. All licensees must comply with the general code of practice.

Class 1

  • can only go for one day
  • can only trade until midnight
  • can't have more than 200 people at the event at any one time
  • can't have prescribed entertainment.

Class 2

  • can go for one or more days in duration
  • can only trade until 2.00 am
  • can't have more than 1,200 people at the event at any one time
  • can't have prescribed entertainment.

Class 3

Variations to an endorsement

You can apply to vary the conditions of your endorsement.

You can't apply for a variation:

  • that would place your endorsement in a different class
  • to change the premises address
  • to change the licensed area.

To make these types of changes you would need to cancel your existing endorsement and reapply.

If you think you may need to move your event to a different area of the premises - eg due to weather - you should consider applying for both areas to be licensed as you won't be able to change the area once the licence is granted.

What you'll need

All classes

You'll need to provide:

  • details of your function and a description of how liquor will be served
  • a plan of the licensed area in one of these formats (unless your licence is for direct sales transactions only):
    • a floorplan of the venue with the licensed area outlined in red
    • for large outdoor events you can lodge a satellite image - eg from Google maps - of the premises with the licensed area outlined in red on the image.

    How to submit a plan of licensed venue (PDF 344KB)

Class 1 and 2 events

For class 1 and 2 events you'll need to decide who you want to nominate as your persons in charge of the event.

Class 3 events

For class 3 events you'll need to have a responsible person present at all times.

You'll also need to provide a copy of your management plan.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming

Email: liquorandgaming@sa.gov.au

Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 29 November 2022

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023