Apply for replacement HIN plates

Boat code agents can apply for replacement hull identification number (HIN) plates where original plates affixed to a boat have been lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed.

You'll need:

  • your boat code agent ID
  • the boat examiner number
  • the boat owner's details including their client number or driver's licence number, boat registration number, and HIN
  • if the HIN plates have been:
    • damaged or destroyed  - provide photographic evidence
    • stolen - provide a police report number.

No fees apply.

What happens next

The boat code agent will also need to:

Notify an incident with HIN plates and certificates

If you apply using your mySAGOV account, you can check the status of your application.

If the application for replacement HIN plates is approved the boat code agent will receive the new blank plates in the mail within 3 weeks of lodging the order.

The boat code agent must then:

  • complete and lodge a new interim certificate with Marine Safety SA
  • stamp the plates and affix them to the vessel.

Contact Marine Safety SA



Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 24 February 2023

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023