Driving with an overseas licence
If you are visiting from overseas, or you've moved here permanently, make sure that you are driving legally and safely.
Short term visitors
If you are just visiting Australia, you can drive the same type of vehicle as your current licence allows, but you must drive according to any conditions on your overseas licence.
You will need either one of these:
- a current licence issued in another country that is written in English
- a current licence with an English translation if necessary or an international driver's licence.
You must carry your licence documents at all times when driving and produce these and your passport to police on request.
You must not be disqualified from driving in any country.
If your overseas licence expires while you are in Australia, you must get an Australian licence.
International driving permit
Your international driving permit (IDP) must be issued by the same country that issued your driver's licence. The permit verifies in several languages that you have a valid driver's licence.
You may need an IDP to rent a car.
An IDP is valid for 12 months and you must also carry your driver's licence from your home country.
Driver's licence translations will only be accepted if they meet one of these conditions:
- an original document (photocopies, faxes and certified copies are not acceptable)
- translated by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) approved translator and signed by the translator
- from a consulate office in Australia, signed by a consulate officer, and on official consulate letterhead
- from the South Australian Government Interpreting and Translating Centre or interstate equivalent, or the Federal Department of Social Services’ free translating service on the appropriate template.
Translation and language services
Translation services are available through:
The Interpreting and Translating Centre
Level 4 - 44 Pirie Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: 1800 280 203
Alternatively, you can contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters NAATI on 8410 5233 or visit www.naati.com.au for a list of translators.