Accessibility modifications for community housing properties

If you are living in a community housing property and you need modifications to live independently, you may be eligible to have them installed through your community housing provider. Sometimes you may be offered another more suitable property rather than having a modification installed in your current home.

Modifications include:

  • ramps
  • grab rails
  • lowering benchtops
  • lever taps
  • removal of a bath.


To be eligible you must meet all of these criteria:

  • the condition or disability is long-term or permanent and impacts on your housing needs
  • the person needing the modifications won't be moving out of the property in the foreseeable future
  • verification of the need for modifications and its impact can be provided by a health or disability worker.

If you have received a compensation payout which has provided money specifically for modifications you may have to contribute to the cost.

If your compensation payout is provided for the maintenance of modifications, the cost of their ongoing maintenance and upkeep may be your responsibility and not of your housing provider.

How to apply

Ask your community housing provider how to apply for modifications to your property.  Your community housing provider is required to abide by the Community housing disability access and inclusion policy.

Verification from your doctor or disability worker

If the modifications cost $1000 or more, verification from a disability or health worker may be requested, they may also be asked to provide specifications of the modifications required.

Other help to stay independent at home

Many organisations and community groups offer different types of assistance to help people stay independent at home.

Things they can help with include:

  • personal care and hygiene
  • grocery shopping and meals
  • medical assistance and support
  • transport for appointments
  • social gatherings and functions.

Find services in your area through the SA Community website.

Your local council may be able to give you contact details for community groups in your area that could help.

Related information

Other websites

Catalyst Foundation - Information on independent living and home support

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 1 July 2022

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023