Housing for Aboriginal people

Aboriginal employment-related accommodation

The employment-related accommodation (ERA) program provides short to medium term housing to Aboriginal people living in a remote community who need to move for full-time employment, training or education. It is not permanent housing.

If you have a family, you can rent one home together and won’t have to share with others. If you are single, you may be asked to share with two or three other people who have also applied for ERA housing.


Individuals and families can apply for ERA housing.

To be eligible to apply, you must meet all of the below:

  • you are a permanent resident of a remote community
  • you have either an offer or employment or been accepted into education or training - eg an apprenticeship, a TAFE or university course, a traineeship
  • you have an income paid directly to you - eg from Centrelink
  • you are 18 or older.

How to apply

To apply, contact one of the ERA housing providers listed below. You will need to tell them:

  • your name
  • your date of birth
  • your current address or location
  • a way to contact you - eg email address, community phone number
  • the amount and type of income you get each week
  • why you are applying for ERA housing
  • details about the employment, education or training you will be doing.

You will need to provide evidence of your employment, training or education - eg a copy of your acceptance letter into a training or education course, a letter from your employer or Job Service Provider.

An ERA housing provider may contact you to talk about your application and ask for more information.

The ERA provider will assess your application. If your application is successful, it will be placed on a waiting list. You will be contacted once a suitable property for you becomes available.

Being offered housing

Once you are offered ERA housing, you can apply to Housing SA for help paying bond and rent.

You may also contact your local Prime Minister and Cabinet office to enquire about eligibility for financial help from the remote jobs and communities programme.

If you are moving to ERA housing in metropolitan Adelaide, a support worker will help you prepare for the move and settle in your new home.

Most properties already have basic household furniture and appliances - eg fridge, bed, washing machines. You will have to arrange for the electricity to be connected once you move in.

You will need to bring your own bed linen, sheets, quilts, pillows and towels.

They won’t have internet, telephone or Pay TV connections.

Being an ERA tenant

ERA houses are managed by Housing SA and non-government organisations. Their tenancy managers will visit you to make sure you have settled in and looking after the house.

You will need to sign a lease agreement at the beginning of your tenancy which lays out your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

You will need to:

  • pay your rent each week
  • keep your house and garden neat and clean
  • go to your work, education or training course.

Rent and other charges

The amount of rent you will have to pay depends on your income. Most people pay between 20% and 30% of their income.

As well as paying the rent each week, you will also be responsible for paying for the electricity, gas and water you use.

How long you can stay

Lease agreements are for six months, but this can be extended for up to two years.

You will only be able to stay for as long as you are employed, or doing your education or training. Once you stop, you will have to leave the property.

Your tenancy manager will contact you towards the end of your lease to talk about moving out and finding another place to stay - eg renting privately.

ERA Housing Providers

Housing in metropolitan Adelaide

Uniting Care Wesley
Port Adelaide
Phone: 0414 860 772
Email support: era@ucwpa.org.au

Community Housing Limited
Phone: 8210 0200

Housing in Ceduna

Housing SA
Phone: 8625 2896

Housing in Port Augusta

Uniting Care Wesley Country SA
Phone: 7628 3101

Housing in Whyalla

Uniting care Wesley Country SA
Phone: 8649 0812

Housing in Roxby Downs

Red Mulga Indigenous Services
Phone: 8671 0080

Related Information

On this site

Other websites

Uniting Care Wesley

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 17 October 2017

Provided by:
South Australian Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019