Where to stay when away for work or learning

The Aboriginal Employment and Education Housing (EEH) program provides short to medium term housing to Aboriginal people living in a remote or regional community who need to move for full-time employment, training or education. It is not permanent housing.

If you have a family, you can rent one home together and won’t have to share with others. If you are single, you may be asked to share with two or three other people who have also applied for the EEH program.

Who this is for

Individuals and families can apply for the EEH program.

You must meet all the conditions below to be eligible:

  • you are a permanent resident of a remote or regional Aboriginal community
  • you have either an offer of employment or been accepted into education or training such as an apprenticeship, a TAFE or university course, or traineeship
  • you have an income paid directly to you from either Centrelink or wages
  • you are 18 or older.

What you'll need

You will need to provide evidence of your employment, training or education, such as a copy of your acceptance letter into a training or education course or a letter from your employer or Job Service Provider.

How to apply

To apply, contact one of the EEH providers listed below. You will need to tell them:

  • your name
  • your date of birth
  • your current address or location
  • a way to contact you such as an email address or community phone number
  • the amount and type of income you get each week
  • why you are applying for the EEH program
  • details about the employment, education or training you will be doing.

An EEH provider may contact you to talk about your application and ask for more information.

What happens next

The EEH provider will assess your application. If your application is successful, it will be placed on a waiting list. You will be contacted once a suitable property for you becomes available.

Being offered housing

Once you are offered an EEH rental agreement, you can apply to Housing SA for help paying bond and rent.

If you are moving to an EEH property in metropolitan Adelaide, a support worker will help you prepare for the move and settle into your new home.

Most properties already have basic household furniture and appliances such as a fridge, bed and washing machine. You will have to arrange for the electricity to be connected once you move in.

You will need to bring your own bed linen, sheets, quilts, pillows and towels.

They won’t have internet, telephone or pay TV connections.

Being an EEH tenant

EEH houses are managed by Housing SA and non-government organisations. Their tenancy managers will visit you to make sure you have settled in and looking after the house.

You will need to sign a lease agreement at the beginning of your tenancy which lays out your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

You will need to:

  • pay your rent each week
  • keep your house and garden neat and clean
  • go to your work, education or training course.

Rent and other charges

The amount of rent you will have to pay depends on your income. Most people pay between 20% and 30% of their income.

As well as paying the rent each week, you will also be responsible for paying for the electricity, gas and water you use.

How long you can stay

Lease agreements are for six months, but this can be extended for up to two years.

You will only be able to stay for as long as you are employed or doing your education or training. Once you stop, you will have to leave the property.

Your tenancy manager will contact you towards the end of your lease to talk about moving out and finding another place to stay, renting privately for example.

Employment and Education Housing providers

Metropolitan Adelaide

Community Housing Limited
Phone: 8210 0200


Housing SA
Phone: 8625 2896

Port Augusta

Uniting Country SA


Uniting Country SA

Roxby Downs

Red Mulga Indigenous Services
Phone: 8671 0080

Related Information

On this site

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 8 March 2023

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023