Retirement housing - information for residents
Retirement village living can involve significant financial commitment and lifestyle changes. The information on this page explains your rights and obligations as a resident. It also helps you consider other aspects of moving to, living in, or leaving a retirement village.
If you have questions please contact Office for Ageing Well’s Retirement Villages Unit on 8204 2420 or at email@example.com.
Review of the Retirement Villages Act 2016
The Retirement Villages Act 2016 (the Act) commenced on 1 January 2018 and is required to be reviewed after three years.
Community feedback is being sought to find out whether the Act meets its intended objectives and if there needs to be consideration given to legislative changes.
A report on outcomes of the review, including community feedback, will be provided to the Minister for Health and Wellbeing for tabling in Parliament later in 2021.
Submissions closed 16 April 2021.
Enforcement Framework for retirement villages
Guidelines for retirement villages
Guidelines for retirement village residents' committees are available which reflect the legislative requirements along with suggestions for implementing best practice principles for the operation and function of a retirement village residents' committee. A word version of the example rules from the residents' committees guidebook is also available and can be amended for use by residents' committees in retirement villages.
Resident survey results
Resident Feedback Survey Results 2020 captures the feedback sought by Office for Ageing Well on the introduction of the Retirement Villages Act 2016 and Retirement Villages Regulations 2017. The legislation commenced operation on 1 January 2018. The survey of village residents on the operation of the Act was to ensure that there is a robust source of data on operational and other matters.
The survey was sent to residents in January 2020, with submissions closing on Wednesday 19 February 2020. 805 responses were received. The feedback will assist in understanding the effectiveness of the legislative changes and the cumulative impact on residents and the community. The results of all surveys are made publicly available to continue the conversation about ongoing improvement and best practice within the industry.
The information sheets below also provide useful information for residents and prospective residents about living in a retirement village.
- Introduction to retirement village living - information about retirement villages, commonly used terms and relevant legislation.
- Before moving into a retirement village - information to help you if you are considering retirement village living, such as what type of village you want to live in and what you can afford on a continuing basis.
- Moving into a retirement village - disclosure statement and residence contract: Information about documents an operator is required to provide you with before you sign a residence contract and information about your cooling-off and settling-in periods.
- Living in a retirement village - fees and charges: Information about fees and charges for which you might be responsible when living in a village, when these fees might increase and when an operator is required to consult with residents.
- Living in a retirement village - residents’ committees: Information about the structure and function of a residents’ committee within a retirement village.
- What if I have a dispute with a Retirement Village - dealing with disputes: Information about dealing with disputes in a retirement village.
- Request for Assistance to resolve a Retirement Villages dispute - if you have been unable to resolve the issue directly with the operator of the retirement village through the village's dispute resolution policy, submit a request for assistance using this online form.
- Leaving a retirement village - information relating to leaving a village, relicensing your residence and when and how you will be paid your exit entitlement.
- Further information and advice - list of organisations that can assist you with further information.
- Retirement villages checklist - checklist to assist you in making a choice about moving into a retirement village.