Births, deaths and marriages

Register an intention to marry

The right to marry under Australian law is no longer determined by sex or gender identity. Same-sex marriage is now legal in Australia.

Who can register

To be legally married in South Australia, you must not:

  • be married to someone else
  • be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister.

At least one person must be 18 years old. If one party is aged 16 to 17, you must have a court order authorising the marriage and written parental consent or the ‘effective consent’ of a magistrate or judge and written parental consent.

How to register

Notice of intended marriage

You need to lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) at least one calendar month before your wedding date.

The notice of intended marriage needs to be signed by both people getting married.

If you are signing the notice of intended marriage in Australia, you must sign in front of one of the persons listed below:

  • authorised marriage celebrant
  • commissioner for declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959
  • justice of the peace
  • barrister or solicitor
  • legally qualified medical doctor
  • police officer –-state or federal.

If you are signing the notice of intended marriage outside of Australia, you must sign in front of one of the persons listed below:

  • Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • Australian Consular Officer
  • Commonwealth employee authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955
  • Australian Trade Commission employee authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955
  • notary public.

If only one person is in Australia, please email our celebrant for further instructions before you complete the notice of intended marriage - .

Supporting evidence

Evidence of date and place of birth

Both persons must provide their original birth certificate or passport. Photocopies are not accepted. Your passport must show your place of birth.

If these documents are in another language, they must be translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translator service.

If you are providing your original birth certificate, you must also provide current photographic identification, eg drivers licence, proof of age card.

Previous marriages

If you have been previously married, you must provide your original marriage certificate and original divorce certificate (decree absolute) or original death certificate (if previous partner is deceased). Photocopies are not accepted. If these documents are in another language, they must be translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translator service.

Lodging a notice of intended marriage

Your own celebrant

Give your notice of intended marriage and supporting evidence to your celebrant.

Registry office wedding ceremonies

You must lodge the notice of intended marriage at Births, Deaths and Marriages. You will need to bring the supporting evidence and pay the notice lodgement fee of $108.

If you wish to book in your ceremony, you must also pay the ceremony fee of $183 when you lodge the notice - total $291.

In person

Pay using cash or by cheque, money order, credit or debit card at:

Births, Deaths and Marriages,
Level 2, 91 Grenfell Street

Cheques should be made payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.


Rural or regional applicants can lodge by post. Please email our celebrant for further instructions -

Foreign same-sex marriages

Existing and future same-sex marriages solemnised overseas are now recognised in Australia. A couple whose foreign same-sex marriage is recognised in Australia cannot marry each other again in Australia, unless there is doubt as to the validity of the foreign marriage. It is possible, however, for couples to hold another type of ceremony, such as a confirmation of vows or a re-commitment ceremony.

Immigration and overseas residents

If you or your partner live overseas and are planning to come to Australia to live, we can send you a letter once we receive and lodge your notice of intended marriage. You can use this letter to support an application for a prospective spouse visa. If documents are in a language other than English, you will need to provide translated documents.

Single status certificate

If you were born or currently live in South Australia and are getting married overseas, some countries require proof that you have not already been married - single status certificate. We can search the marriage register and provide a certificate that states there is no record of a marriage in your name in SA. This cost is $48.75 for each 10 year search period.

1. Application

Complete and sign the form - SA marriage search application form (PDF 53KB)

2. Supporting evidence

Attach copies of the required ID to your application.

3. Lodgement

Post to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001


Births, Deaths and Marriages does not handle matters relating to divorce. The Family Court of Australia can assist with your enquiries.

Related information

On this site

Getting married at the registry office

Other websites

Getting married - Australian Government Attorney-General's Department

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages


131 882

In person

91 Grenfell Street


GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 31 January 2018

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016