Plumbing, gas fitting and electrical licensing
Any person, business or company offering services as a plumber, gas fitter or electrician, must be licensed as a contractor. Any person, including builders, who personally carries out plumbing, gas fitting or electrical work must hold a worker's registration.
Who should apply
You are considered to be a plumbing, gas fitting or electrical contractor if you do any work (including sub-contracting) defined under the Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995, such as installing water heaters, stoves or fire protection sprinklers, domestic plumbing work, industrial gas fitting work and electrical installations. If a business operates as a partnership, each of the partners must hold a licence, even if they don't physically perform the plumbing, gas fitting or electrical work. If you intend operating the business through a company, the company must apply for a licence.
When a licence is not needed
You are not required to hold a plumbing, gas fitting or electrical contractor's licence if you are:
- conducting a business as a builder, building contractor or architect
- conducting another business, the main purpose of which is the construction, installation, alteration, repair or maintenance of a building, structure, plant or equipment.
These two exemptions are subject to the condition that any plumbing, gas fitting or electrical work under your contract is performed by a person who is properly licensed and registered.
How to apply
1. Application form
- Online - complete the application form
- Phone - call 131 882 and staff will complete the form and forward it to you to check and sign
- In person - Adelaide CBS customer service centre, 91–97 Grenfell St, Adelaide
Lodge the signed application at the Adelaide CBS service centre, along with the specified fees and any supporting documents indicated in your application.
Licences are ongoing but fees must be paid annually. If you have never held a licence or registration, or if it has lapsed, you need to apply for a new one.
Change of address
You can change your home or postal address 90.75 KB for your existing licence in person, by post or email.
Email CBS with any queries or concerns regarding your licence - CBS-CSC@sa.gov.au.