Plumbing, gas fitting and electrical contractors' licences

Individuals, including partners in a business, and companies must be licensed as plumbing, gas fitting or electrical (PGE) contractors if they run a business that carries out or organises PGE work.

Plumbing includes work on:

  • water or sanitary plumbing, and drainage
  • backflow prevention devices.

Gas fitting includes work on gas pipes or equipment that are downstream of:

  • the licensed gas supplier’s meter
  • a gas storage tank or cylinder.

Electrical includes installing or working on different electrical systems. The type of electrical licence will depend on qualifications.

A contractor’s licence authorises someone to run the business. You will also need to register as a plumber, gas fitter or electrician if you do the physical trade work.

Interstate and overseas licences

Who can apply

Sole traders, partners in a business and companies (including their directors) can apply unless they have legal restrictions on their work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership or a suspended trade or business licence.

You or your company can't apply if you were a director of a company that was wound up to pay creditors in the last five years - including if you were a director six months before winding up started.


Business partners who don't organise or do the work no longer need to hold a contractor's licence and can apply for an exemption - eg administrative partner.

Apply for an exemption - new applicants

Surrender your licence - for partners who already hold a licence and would like to apply for an exemption

What you'll need

Experience and qualifications

Check you have the right experience and qualifications to apply for a contractor’s licence. Companies will need to show that a director also meets the business criteria.

Qualifications electrical work contractors (PDF 254KB)
Qualifications for plumbers and gasfitters (PDF 156KB)
Business criteria for contractors, companies and individuals (PDF 110KB)


You need to have at least $10,000 in net assets to apply for a contractor’s licence. If you don't, you can apply for a restricted licence as a subcontractor.

Police clearance

Contractors will need to submit a National Police Certificate (NPC) no more than 12 months old. Apply for an NPC through:

You don't need an NPC if you:

  • are director of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
  • have lodged an NPC with CBS within the last year
  • are an overseas resident and have never lived in Australia
  • have held a licence within the last year and are applying for an equivalent licence
  • have already supplied an NPC for a different licence issued under the same Act.

Restricted licence

You could be eligible to apply for a restricted licence - in a limited partnership with a licensed contractor - if you don't have all the qualifications, business knowledge or finances.

How to apply


1. Complete the form

Fill in the applications, then print and sign it.

Apply now

If you can't complete the form online phone 131 882 to discuss your options with CBS staff.

2. Scan and upload

Scan and upload the signed form along with supporting evidence.

3. Payment

Pay by credit card using the CBS secure service on the registration form.

Other ways to lodge the form

In person

Take your application to CBS Customer Service Centre or to a Service SA regional office along with your supporting evidence and payment.


Post your application, supporting evidence and payment to:

Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001


Body corporate (company) licence


Worker registration


  • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


Individual contractor licence


  • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


Worker and contractor licence


  • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA




Application to vary a licence


Application to vary a registration


What happens next

You will need to have your photo taken for your licence and undergo an ID check before being issued with a licence card.


Your licence needs to be renewed every 12 months. If it expires, you will need to submit a new application.

Renewal fees


Individual contractor


Body corporate (company)


Worker registration (3 yearly fee) $256

How to renew


Make sure you have your licence number ready to renew online. You can pay by credit card using our secure service.

Renew now


Make sure you have your licence number when you call. You can pay by credit card.

Phone 1300 668 531


Make cheque or money orders payable to the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs and attach to the front page of your renewal.

Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001

In person

Renew and pay for your licence at:

CBS Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street

or a Service SA regional office.

Digital licences

You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySA GOV app. Hard copy licences will still be issued and it's a good idea to carry these with you until digital licences become widely accepted. For more information visit

Changes that will affect your licence

Notify CBS if you have committed an offence or the business has gone bankrupt. You will also need to advise CBS when you:

Contact CBS Occupational Licensing


Phone131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 19 October 2018

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018