The holder of any class of South Australian driver's licence can ride a moped, as long as it's registered, insured and compliant with Australian design rules. The holder of a learner's permit can't ride a moped unless the permit is for R-DATE or R-class.

What is a moped

A moped is a two or three-wheeled motor vehicle, other than a power-assisted bicycle that:

  • is propelled by a motor or an internal combustion engine with a capacity not exceeding 50 millilitres
  • can't go faster than 50 kilometres per hour.

Voluntary training course

If you don'’t have a motorcycle licence, you can complete a voluntary Rider Safe training course that teaches defensive riding skills, that you can practise under the guidance of a motorcycle riding instructor. The course is voluntary and there is no pass or fail component. The training runs for half a day and costs $116. You will learn about:

  • safe braking and cornering techniques
  • hazard perception
  • protective clothing
  • vehicle technology such as Antilock Braking Systems.

Even experienced riders can benefit from this course - it could help save your life. ​​The course is run at the St Agnes and Murray Bridge motorcycle training centres with country courses at Millicent, Barmera, Port Pirie and Whyalla operating subject to demand.

For more information and bookings call Rider Safe on 1800 018 300.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 30 November 2016

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023