Oversize and overmass vehicles
Pilot and escort requirements
Escorting guidelines for oversize and over mass vehicles (798.9 KB PDF) specifies the requirements for pilot vehicles and escorts.
Areas of the state where additional escorts are required
Additional police escorts may be required in areas to ensure the safe movement of oversize loads. These areas and routes include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lonsdale to the north of the Adelaide Metropolitan Area
- Marion Road / Sir Donald Bradman Drive
- East of Truro through to Accommodation Hill
- Gorge Road, between Ryan Avenue at Athelstone and Chain of Ponds
- Victor Harbor Road, between Mount Compass and Welch Road, Hindmarsh Valley
- Port River Expressway / Magazine Road at Dry Creek (to enable oversize vehicles to make a u-turn)
- Goolwa Road, between Mount Compass and Alexandrina Road, Currency Creek.
Oversize and/or over mass notices and permits
Operators of oversize and/or over mass heavy vehicles must comply with the specified Notices available on the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator's (NHVR) website.
If your operating requirements cannot be met through a Notice, you will need to apply to the NHVR for an oversize and over mass heavy vehicle permit.
- Multi-State Class 1 Load Carrying Vehicle Dimension Exemption Notice 2020
- Multi-State Class 1 Load Carrying Vehicle Mass Exemption Notice 2020
- South Australia Class 1 Oyster Boat Exemption Notice 2019
- South Australia Class 1 Opal Mining Vehicle Dimension Exemption Notice 2019
- South Australia Class 1 Stobie Pole Transportation Dimension Exemption Notice 2019
Permit based scheme - export container excess mass
Operators can apply to the NHVR for a permit to transport shipping containers holding goods for export on articulated vehicles where the gross combination mass exceeds 42.5 tonnes.
The permit scheme to be selected is SA - Excess Mass Export.
Mass and dimension limits
- The maximum allowable mass is 49.5 tonnes.
- The maximum container length is 12.2 metres.
Travel is only allowed within South Australia, and is limited to between the point of loading the container onto the articulated vehicle and the container terminal at Outer Harbour.
Conditions applied by the Department for Infrastructure & Transport (DIT)
Documentary evidence that the goods are destined for export must be carried in the vehicle at all times and be produced when requested by an Authorised Officer appointed under the Heavy Vehicle National Law, or a police officer.
- Transporting high loads - SA Power Networks (including details on skid rail requirements for operators travelling with a load that exceeds 4.3m high)
Contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Web - www.nhvr.gov.au
Phone - 1300 MYNHVR (1300 696 487)
Fax - (07) 3309 8777
PO Box 492
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006