Oversize and overmass vehicles
Pilot and escort requirements
Escorting guidelines for oversize and overmass vehicles on roads specifies the requirements for pilot vehicles and escorts.
Changes have been made to the Adelaide Metropolitan and SA Country Area escort charts for minimum requirements for oversize loads. An Information Bulletin titled Changes to SA Police and pilot escort requirements for oversize loads in South Australia explains these changes and provides a copy of the updated charts.
Areas of the state where additional escorts are required
Additional police escorts may be required in areas to ensure the safe movement of oversize loads. Outlined below are known areas, but not limited to the following:
- Lonsdale to north of the Adelaide Metropolitan Area
- Marion Road / Sir Donald Bradman Drive
- East of Truro through to Accommodation Hill
- Corner of Ryan Avenue and Gorge Road, Athelstone to Chain of Ponds
- Victor Harbor Road, Mount Compass to intersection Victor Harbor Road / Welch Road, Hindmarsh Valley
Oversize and overmass notices and permits
Operators and drivers of oversize and/or overmass heavy vehicles may be required to carry the applicable Gazette Notice in their vehicle when operating on South Australian roads. Heavy Vehicle notices are published on the relevant NHVR's notices page.
If your operating requirements cannot be met by a Gazette Notice, you will need to apply to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) for an oversize and overmass heavy vehicle permit.