Approved areas or routes
Vehicles operating under a mass or dimension exemption (notice or permit) in South Australia must travel within stated areas and on stated routes.
Heavy vehicle route networks (RAVnet)
Prior to any journey, drivers must determine the approved route using the RAVnet online map system.
RAVnet is an interactive map system that displays approved heavy vehicle route networks in South Australia. Restrictions associated with specific route networks are also included.
RAVnet FAQs - Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT).
Approved area maps
Approved area maps that are referenced in mass or dimension exemptions are:
- Adelaide Hills area (249.2 KB PDF)
- Adelaide Hills area (including Mount Barker inset) (270.7 KB PDF)
- Adelaide Metropolitan area (239.9 KB PDF)
- Central Adelaide area (240.6 KB PDF)
- Northern Adelaide area (253.8 KB PDF)
- Optus clearance area (219.8 KB PDF)
- Southern Adelaide area (167.9 KB PDF).
Restricted areas within SA
Route and structure restrictions are published in the:
Information Bulletin - Consolidated Table of Limited Access Locations in SA (163.3 KB PDF).
Height Clearance Map - State Roads
DIT has also developed a map that displays height restrictions on all state-maintained roads.
Clearances beneath bridges, gantries, and overhead walkways, as well as through the Heysen Tunnels, are shown as colour-coded dots and in most cases, the height in metres is displayed on the marker. Click on the dots in the map for further information.
Access the Height Clearance Map.
Information Bulletins for specific vehicle uses and activities
Areas or routes for specific heavy vehicle operations are outlined in a series of Information Bulletins listed here:
- Livestock Loading Mass Exemption - Areas or routes of operation in South Australia (315.1 KB PDF)
- Night Travel up to 3.1m wide or 22m long - Areas or routes of operation in South Australia (312.4 KB PDF)
- Night Travel for Agricultural Machinery - Approved Areas (191.2 KB PDF)
- Night Travel for Rubber Tracked Tractors - Approved Route Networks (190.6 KB PDF)
- Adelaide Christmas Pageant Floats (161.0 KB PDF)
When operating an oversize vehicle, the maps below depict the principal routes for travel. If your operating requirements cannot be met by a gazette notice, you will need to apply for a permit.
Temporary road closures, detours and roadworks
Refer to daily roadworks, hazards and news for information.
For a map of the planned road improvement and rehabilitation works undertaken across the State sealed road network, see State-wide road improvement and renewal works.
Alternatively, contact DIT on 1300 794 880 or DIT.CommunityRelations@sa.gov.au.