Disability-related complaints and feedback

You are entitled to make a complaint if you feel you have been treated unfairly because of disability. You also can provide feedback about services or support you receive.

How you do this depends on what the complaint or feedback is about.

Support to make a complaint

The Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner (HCSCC) is an independent body that helps people resolve disability-related complaints.

Phone the HCSCC on 8226 8666 or 1800 232 007.
You can also make an HCSCC complaint online.

Disability advocates

Advocates provide support and advice across diverse issues for people with disability. They represent the interests of the person for whom they are advocating.

The National Disability Advocacy Program provides access for people with disability to effective disability advocacy services and providers.

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) can offer advocacy support if you have an appointed guardian from that office. Phone the OPA on 8342 8200 or 1800 066 969.

Complain about unfair treatment because of disability

Get support and advice to guide you through the complaints process if you feel you have been treated unfairly because of disability.

Complaints or feedback about a disability service

NDIS participants have the right to be safe and to receive quality services from providers and workers. You can contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission with feedback about the quality and safety of NDIS supports and services. Phone 1800 035 544 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.

Provide online feedback or make a complaint about services provided by the state government on the Department of Human Services (DHS) client feedback page.

Complaints or feedback about government

You can raise your complaint directly with the relevant government department or local council if you have a general complaint.

The South Australian Ombudsman is an independent body that can provide you with free impartial support if your complaint is about state or local government.

Contact the Australian Government Department of Social Services (DSS) to provide feedback on a DSS program or funded service provider, including Australian Disability Enterprises and Disability Employment Services.

The National Disability Complaints Resolution and Referral Service (CRRS) is an independent body that helps resolve complaints about Australian government-funded disability employment and advocacy services. Phone 1800 880 052.

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal ATT reviews decisions made by an Australian government department or other organisation about family assistance, social security, the NDIS, child support payments, and other matters. Phone 1800 228 333.

Complaints or feedback about the Restrictive Practices Authorisation scheme

Give feedback, make a complaint, or lodge an appeal about the Restrictive Practices Authorisation scheme.

Reporting abuse and neglect

The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a telephone service for reporting the abuse or neglect of people with disability.

Phone the hotline Monday to Friday on 1800 880 052 from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm.

Use can also the National Relay Service on 1800 555 660 to make your call.

Email the National Disability Abuse and Neglect hotline at hotline@workfocus.com

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 1 July 2022

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023