Complaints and advocacy

Everyone has a right to provide feedback or raise a complaint if they are concerned about the way they have been treated by a service provider. You can raise your concerns directly with the service provider or use an advocacy service.

An advocate provides confidential independent information about the rights and entitlements of people using services. They also discuss options and possible consequences of any course of action. Government-funded advocacy services do not charge for their help.

  • The Office of the Public Advocate protects the rights and interests of people with reduced mental capacity and their carers - phone 8342 8200 or 1800 066 969.
  • The Aged Rights Advocacy Service helps consumers of aged care services and their carers with service-related issues or abuse of older people - phone 8232 5377 or email.
  • The Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of SA provides information and advocacy support to individuals, families, carer and communities - phone 7122 6030 or 8297 3500 or National Relay Service 1800 555 630.
  • The Community Visitor Scheme provides patients of mental health treatment centres, and residents with a disability living in disability accommodation, their carers and family members, with advocacy and assistance to ensure services are responsive and appropriate to patient and residents needs - phone 1800 606 302.

If, after all reasonable steps have been taken, you are still not satisfied with the outcome, contact the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner on 8226 8666 or Toll free: 1800 232 007.

If your complaint relates to discrimination in the workplace, you should contact the Equal Opportunity Commission on 8207 1977.

Related information

On this site

Complaints and feedback about government

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 28 August 2018

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019