Community Visitor Scheme
The Community Visitor Scheme is an independent statutory scheme that visits and inspects:
- mental health facilities
- emergency departments of hospitals
- state-run disability accommodation.
Role of community visitors
- perform regular (and on request) visits and inspections of approved mental health facilities, and state-run disability accommodation
- promote the proper resolution of complaints and advocate for the rights of individuals
- refer issues of concern to relevant people or agencies, including the ministers responsible for mental health and disability, or the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner.
How to request a visit
Phone 1800 606 302 between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm weekdays (available from mobile phones and within SA).
Volunteering with the scheme
Find information on volunteering as a community visitor on the Community Visitor Scheme website.