Prescribed entertainment consent

You must apply to the licensing authority for prescribed entertainment consent if you want your venue to host any entertainment that:

  • is sexually explicit
  • involves boxing or martial arts.

If you already have a prescribed entertainment consent, and you want to change the hours or the area, you must apply for a new consent.

The licensing authority will only grant you prescribed entertainment consent if it is satisfied that the prescribed entertainment is consistent with the objects of the Liquor Licensing Act 1997 and is unlikely to give undue offence to people who reside, work or worship in the vicinity.

When applying you'll need to upload a floor plan of the venue outlining where the entertainment will happen (a legible photo is acceptable).

How to submit plans for a licensed venue (PDF 344KB)

Fee: $631.00

What happens next

You can log in to LGO at any time to track the progress of your application.

You'll also receive periodic email notifications asking you to log in to receive important information such as the date that your application will be considered (determination date).

Submissions and interventions

Your application will be sent to South Australia Police Licensing Enforcement Branch. It may also need to be advertised.

Advertising directions (PDF) - Consumer and Business Services

Anyone can submit concerns regarding your licence application. For example, if your neighbours think that your business is going to be noisy or if they are concerned your business will have an impact on the neighbourhood they may consider lodging a submission with the Commissioner.

The police may also intervene in your application if they have concerns about public safety and disturbance or the fitness and propriety of any person holding the licence.

If all the approvals are in place and there are no concerns raised by any member of the public (submissions) or police (interventions), the application process will take approximately six to eight weeks.

Submissions or interventions must be lodged at least seven days before the determination date.

If anyone submits a concern regarding your application you will receive a copy.

You may then be asked to:

  • submit a response the Commissioner
  • take part in a conciliation conference with SAPOL or anyone else who submitted their concerns and the Commissioner or a delegate
  • attend a hearing before the Licensing Court.

A conciliation conference is usually held at CBS in the Adelaide CBD.

The Commissioner or delegate must consider all submissions, interventions and responses, and may make a decision on your application without asking you to respond, having a conciliation conference or holding a hearing.

Information for the general public about how to make a submission regarding a liquor licence application.

Conciliation conference

A conciliation conference is a confidential conference where the Commissioner or delegate will attempt to reach an agreement between the parties. You don’t need to be represented by a lawyer, but you can choose to do so, if you think it’s necessary.

At the conciliation conference:

  • you will be asked to explain the nature and intent of your business
  • the other party will express their concerns
  • the delegate will help the parties try to reach an agreement.

At the end of the conference the delegate will either:

  • make a decision on your application
  • ask that the parties attend a hearing.


A hearing is more formal than a conciliation conference where all parties will put forward evidence for the Commissioner or a delegate to make a decision.

At a hearing both parties will be able to put their case forward. The Commissioner or delegate will then make a decision on the application.

In special circumstances the Commissioner or delegate may refer your application to the Licensing Court to make a decision.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 3 July 2020

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021