Information for parents of minors

As a parent, you can allow your underage teen to drink in certain locations, as long as you provide responsible supervision. You can also give permission to another adult to supply alcohol to your teenager, as long as that adult provides responsible supervision.

Responsible supervision involves many things, including:

  • the adult should directly supervise the teenager while they are drinking
  • the adult should not be intoxicated
  • the teenager should not be intoxicated.

Take a common sense approach when choosing the age at which you give your teen a drink. It's important to understand the risks associated with teenage drinking, including:

  • the setting where drinking will occur
  • transport options
  • the quantity and type of alcohol being consumed
  • alcohol related health issues.

For teenagers aged 15 to 17, the safest option is to delay drinking for as long as possible.

Licensed businesses are prohibited from supplying alcohol to people under 18 years old.

Stop the supply of alcohol to minors - parent FAQs (PDF 201KB)

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Related information

On this site

Minors in licensed venues

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 15 February 2023

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023