Building and trades

Register as a plumber, gas fitter or electrician

Tradespeople who perform plumbing, gas fitting or electrical (PGE) work must be registered with Consumer and Business Services (CBS).

PGE tradespeople that will be running a business will need a separate contractor’s licence.

Apply for a PGE contractor’s licence
Apply for a building work contractor’s licence

Who can register

Plumbers and gas fitters

Qualified plumbers can register if they:

  • work on water or sanitary plumbing, and drainage
  • install or test backflow prevention devices.

Qualified gas fitters register if they work on gas pipes or equipment, which are downstream of:

  • the licensed gas supplier’s meter
  • a gas storage tank or cylinder.

Plumbing and gas fitting qualifications


Your electrical qualifications will determine the type of work that will be included on your registration

Electrical qualifications - through a trade apprenticeship or Certificate lll

National Restricted Electrical Licence (NREL) qualifications - connect and disconnect commercial or industrial equipment, which is fixed wired.


All plumbing, gas fitting and electrical workers must have a photographic registration card, including apprentices. If you are not registered, both you and your employer can face significant penalties.

As soon as your training contract has been approved, CBS will contact you by email and SMS.

Within 14 days you need to visit CBS or a Service SA customer service centre and:

  • take the email or SMS
  • take 100 points of ID
  • have your photo taken.

If you live remotely or outside of South Australia you can complete and send a proof of identity form (PDF 94KB) to CBS.

CBS will then post your registration card to you. There is no fee.

How to register


1. Complete the form

Fill in the registration form, then print and sign it.

Register now

If you can't complete the form online phone 131 882 to discuss your options with CBS staff.

2. Scan and upload

Scan and upload the signed form along with your supporting evidence.

3. Payment

Pay by credit card using the CBS secure service on the registration form.

Other ways to lodge the form

In person

Take your registration to CBS Customer Service Centre or to a Service SA regional office along with your supporting evidence and payment.


Post your application, supporting evidence and payment to:

Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001



New registration - PGE or NREL

Interstate or NZ registration recognised in SA



Change or upgrade a registration



Your workers' registration needs to be renewed every three years.

You'll need your registration number and credit card to renew online or by phone


Renew now


Phone 1300 668 531


Make cheque or money orders payable to the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs and attach to the front page of your renewal notice.

Consumer and Business Services|
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001

In person

Renew and pay for your licence at:

CBS Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street

Or a Service SA regional office


Renewal fee


Digital licences

You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySA GOV app. Hard copy licences will still be issued and it's a good idea to carry these with you until digital licences become widely accepted. For more information visit

Contact CBS Occupational Licensing


Phone131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001

Page last updated 2 April 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019