Plumbing, gas fitting and electrical registration and contractors' licences

Individuals, including partners in a business, and companies must be licensed as plumbing, gas fitting or electrical (PGE) contractors if they run a business that carries out or organises that type of work.

If you do the physical trade work, you'll also need to register as a plumber, gas fitter or electrician. Check if your interstate and overseas licence can be transferred.

Apply here for a contractor's licence or to register as a plumber, gas fitter, electrician or as an apprentice of these trades.

You'll need supporting documents and a photo to complete your registration or licence application.

Contractors licence

Sole traders, partners in a business and companies, including their directors, can apply unless they have legal restrictions on their work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership or a suspended trade or business licence.

Experience and qualifications

You must have the right experience and qualifications to apply for a contractor’s licence. Companies need to show that a director also meets the business criteria.

Qualifications electrical work contractors (PDF 254KB)
Qualifications for plumbers and gasfitters (PDF 156KB)
Business criteria for contractors, companies and individuals (PDF 110KB)


You need to have at least $10,000 in net assets to apply for a contractor’s licence. If you don't, you can apply for a restricted licence as a subcontractor.

Photo and ID check

You will need to have your photo taken for your licence and undergo an ID check before being issued with a licence card.

Police check

Contractors will need a National Police Certificate (NPC) no more than 12 months old from either:

You don't need an NPC if you:

  • are a director of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
  • have lodged an NPC with CBS within the last year
  • are an overseas resident and have never lived in Australia
  • have held a licence within the last year and are applying for an equivalent licence
  • have already supplied an NPC for a different licence issued under the same Act.

Plumber and gas fitter registration

Plumbers and gas fitters

Qualified plumbers can register if they:

  • work on water or sanitary plumbing, and drainage
  • install or test backflow prevention devices.

Qualified gas fitters register if they work on gas pipes or equipment, which are downstream of:

  • the licensed gas supplier’s meter
  • a gas storage tank or cylinder.

Plumbing and gas fitting qualifications

Electrician registration

Your electrical qualifications will determine the type of work that will be included on your registration

Electrical qualifications - through a trade apprenticeship or Certificate lll

National Restricted Electrical Licence (NREL) qualifications - connect and disconnect commercial or industrial equipment, which is fixed wired.

Apprentice registration

All plumbing, gas fitting and electrical workers must have a photographic registration card, including apprentices. If you're not registered, both you and your employer can face significant penalties.

As soon as your training contract has been approved, CBS will contact you by email and SMS.

Within 14 days you need to visit CBS or a Service SA customer service centre and:

  • take the email or SMS
  • take 100 points of ID
  • have your photo taken.

If you live remotely or outside of South Australia you can complete and send a proof of identity form (PDF 94KB) to CBS.

CBS will then post your registration card to you. There is no fee.

Complete the form online, print, sign, scan and upload

  1. Fill in the application
  2. Pay by credit card using the CBS secure service on the registration form
  3. Print and sign the form.
  4. Scan and upload the signed form, along with supporting documents.

If you can't complete the form online phone 131 882 to discuss your options with CBS staff.

Other ways to submit

In person

Take your application to CBS Customer Service Centre or to a Service SA regional office along with your supporting documents and payment.


Post your application, supporting documents and payment to:

Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001


Contractor's licence needs to be renewed each year.

Your PGE workers' registration needs to be renewed every three years.

You'll need your licence or registration number and credit card to renew online or by phone

Renewal fees

Renew online

Renew now

Other ways to renew


Phone 1300 668 531


Make cheque or money orders payable to the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs and attach to the front page of your renewal notice.

Consumer and Business Services|
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001

In person

Renew and pay for your licence at:

CBS Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street

Or a Service SA regional office

Notify CBS of these changes

Notify CBS:

Digital licences

You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet using the mySA GOV app. Hard copy licences will still be issued and it's a good idea to carry these with you until digital licences become widely accepted. For more information visit

Contact CBS Occupational Licensing


Phone131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 1719
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 17 October 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019