Plumbing, gas fitting and electrical contractors' licences

Individuals, including partners in a business, and companies must be licensed as plumbing, gas fitting or electrical (PGE) contractors if they run a business that carries out or organises PGE work.

Plumbing includes work on:

  • water or sanitary plumbing, and drainage
  • backflow prevention devices.

Gas fitting includes work on gas pipes or equipment that are downstream of:

  • the licensed gas supplier’s meter
  • a gas storage tank or cylinder.

Electrical includes installing or working on different electrical systems. The type of electrical licence will depend on qualifications.

A contractor’s licence authorises someone to run the business. You will also need to register as a plumber, gas fitter or electrician if you do the physical trade work.

Check if you can work in South Australia if you have a current interstate or overseas contractor’s licence.

Who can apply

Sole traders, partners in a business and companies (including their directors) can apply unless they have legal restrictions on their work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership or a suspended trade or business licence.

You or your company can't apply if you were a director of a company that was wound up to pay creditors in the last five years - including if you were a director six months before winding up started.

What you'll need

Experience and qualifications

Check you have the right experience and qualifications to apply for a contractor’s licence. Companies will need to show that a director also meets the business criteria.

Qualifications electrical work contractors (PDF 254KB)
Qualifications for plumbers and gasfitters (PDF 156KB)
Business criteria for contractors, companies and individuals (PDF 110KB)


You need to have at least $10,000 in net assets to apply for a contractor’s licence. If you don't, you can apply for a restricted licence as a subcontractor.

Police clearance

Contractors will need to submit a National Police Certificate (NPC) no more than 12 months old. Apply for an NPC through:

You don't need an NPC if you:

  • are director of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
  • have lodged an NPC with CBS within the last year
  • are an overseas resident and have never lived in Australia
  • have held a licence within the last year and are applying for an equivalent licence
  • have already supplied an NPC for a different licence issued under this Act.

Restricted licence

You could be eligible to apply for a restricted licence - in a limited partnership with a licensed contractor - if you don't have all the qualifications, business knowledge or finances.


    Body corporate (company) licence


    Worker registration


    • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


    Individual contractor licence


    • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


    Worker and contractor licence


    • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA




    Application to vary a licence


    Application to vary a registration


    Licence exemptions

    Business partners who don't organise or do the work no longer need to hold a contractor's licence and can apply for an exemption - eg administrative partner.

    Apply for an exemption - new applicants

    Surrender your licence  - for partners who already hold a licence and would like to apply for an exemption

    How to apply

    1. Complete the application form

    Apply now

    If you can't complete the form online call 131 882 to discuss your options with CBS staff.

    2. Ways to submit


    Print and sign the form. Scan and upload it along with supporting evidence and credit card payment.

    In person

    Print and sign the form. Take your application to CBS Customer Service Centre or to a Service SA regional office along with your supporting evidence and payment.


    Print and sign the form. Post your application, supporting evidence and payment to:

    Consumer and Business Services
    GPO Box 1719
    Adelaide 5001

    Digital licences

    You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySA GOV app. Hard copy licences will still be issued and it's a good idea to carry these with you until digital licences become widely accepted. For more information visit

    What happens next

    You will need to have your photo taken for your licence and undergo an ID check before being issued with a licence card.


    Your licence needs to be renewed every 12 months. If it expires, you will need to submit a new application.

    Renewal fees

    Individual contractor


    Body corporate (company)


    Worker registration (3 yearly fee)$256

    How to renew


    Make sure you have your licence number ready to renew online. You can pay by credit card using our secure service.

    Renew online


    Make sure you have your licence number when you call. You can pay by credit card.

    Phone 1300 668 531


    Make cheque or money orders payable to the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs and attach to the front page of your renewal.

    Consumer and Business Services
    GPO Box 1719
    Adelaide 5001

    In person

    Renew and pay for your licence at:

    CBS Customer Service Centre
    91 Grenfell Street

    or a regional office of Service SA.

    Changes that will affect your licence

    Notify CBS if you have committed an offence or the business has gone bankrupt. You will also need to advise CBS when you:

    Contact CBS Occupational Licensing


    Phone131 882

    In person:
    91 Grenfell Street

    GPO Box 1719
    Adelaide SA 5001

    Was this page useful?

    Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

    Page last updated 19 October 2018

    Provided by:
    Attorney-General's Department
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018