Apply for a gaming machine service licence

A gaming machine service licence allows you to install, service and repair approved gaming machines, prescribed gaming machine components and gaming equipment.

Anyone who is employed by a service licensee to work as a gaming machine technician must also be approved by the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner.

    To complete your licence application you'll need to meet certain requirements and supply supporting documents.

    There is a fee of $656.00.

    What you'll need

    What you'll need

    You'll need to:

    • complete the application form
    • determine whether you're applying as an individual, partnership, company, or trustee of a trust and provide the following documents where applicable:
      • a copy of the partnership agreement
      • an ASIC extract
      • a copy of the relevant trust deed
    • give details of:
      • your ability to offer services to all gaming machine licensees in South Australia (either individually or through affiliation with other service licensees)
      • your technical expertise in the gaming machine servicing field
    • provide:
      • a summary of current (or past) business operations
      • your intended hours of operation and provision of services
      • your capacity (both financially and physically) to hold sufficient spare parts and equipment
    • disclose any other information you feel may be relevant to the application
    • pay the fee of $656.00.
    • to apply for approval for:
      • anyone in a position of authority
      • anyone who receives profits or proceeds from the business
      • a gaming machine technician.

      Each person applying for approval will be contacted by SA Police to have their fingerprints taken. Alternative arrangements can be made for people who live in remote or isolated areas, interstate or overseas

      If a person has already been approved in a position of authority under another current gaming machine licence in South Australia, they only need to reapply if their circumstances have changed since their last approval.

    What happens next

    A Consumer and Business Services (CBS) case manager will contact you to confirm we have received your application.

    Your case manager will let you know whether you need to:

    • publish a notice of your application in certain newspapers (Form 1 will be provided)
    • publish a notice of your application in the government gazette
    • notify your local council.

    The advertising of applications is a mandatory requirement to allow members of the public to raise any objections to your application.


    As notice of your application is made public:

    • a person may object if they have a reason to do so
    • the police may also intervene on your application if there are any concerns

    If someone objects to your application:

    • you will be provided with the details of the objection
    • you and the objectors will be invited to take part in a conciliation conference with the commissioner or a delegate.

    If there are no objections to your application you will be advised of the date that your application will be determined by the commissioner or delegate.

    Conciliation conference

    The conciliation conference is not a formal process, there is no need to be represented by a lawyer, but you can chose to use one if you wish.

    At the conciliation conference:

    • the delegate will ask you to explain the details of your application
    • the objectors will explain what their concerns are
    • the delegate will help the parties reach an agreement
    • the delegate can explain what the law means and clarify any misunderstandings the parties may have but can't provide you with legal advice
    • if the objectors and you fail to come to an agreement the delegate can't make a decision and will refer the matter to a hearing.


    The commissioner may determine whether to conduct the hearing or refer the matter to be heard by the Licensing Court.

    At a hearing before the commissioner:

    • you will be able to explain the details of your application
    • the objectors can explain their concerns
    • the commissioner will make a decision on the application.

    If your matter goes before the licensing court, more information will be provided by the court.

    Your case manager will keep you updated on the progress of your application.

    Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


    Phone: 131 882

    GPO Box 2169
    Adelaide SA 5001

    Was this page useful?

    Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

    Page last updated 23 May 2022

    Provided by:
    Attorney-General's Department
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023