Steps to getting your driver's licence
Getting a driver's licence involves gradually progressing through a series of stages until you are ready to graduate to a full driver's licence.
- booking and passing a licence theory test
- a learner's permit
- completing compulsory driving hours during the learner's permit stage
- booking and passing a compulsory hazard perception test
- P1 provisional licence for one year
- P2 provisional licence for two years
- graduating to a full driver's licence.
Tests can be completed at Service SA customer service centres between 9.00 am and 4.00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and between 9.30 am and 4.00 pm on Wednesdays (except public holidays).
Bookings are essential for all centres - phone 13 10 84.
The My Licence website has detailed information about driver's licences including the licence theory test, learner's permits, the hazard perception test, provisional licences, high-powered vehicles and more.
On this site
- The Driver's Handbook
- The driving companion
- Choosing a qualified supervising driver
- Choosing a motor driving instructor