Evidence of identity
You need to provide proof of your identity when you:
- apply for a South Australian driver's licence or boat licence
- renew your licence and are unable to produce your South Australian driver's licence
- transfer an interstate or approved foreign licence
- apply for a replacement licence where it has been cancelled, lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced
- change your name
- apply to register a vehicle or vessel in your name for the first time
- apply for a proof of age card.
Types of evidence required
You must present at least three documents as evidence of identity:
- one item from category A and two items from category B
- two items from Category A and one item from category B
- at least one item verifying your current South Australian residential address
- evidence of change of name if you have changed your name or your name is different on the documents presented.
The three documents presented must together provide your full name, signature, date of birth and current residential address. If these documents do not verify your current residential address you must provide a fourth document from the 'Evidence of residential address for registration and licensing purposes' category.
Only original documents are accepted for evidence of identity or changing your name and they must be issued within the allowable time. Photocopies, extracts or commemorative certificates are not acceptable. Copies or screenshots from financial institution web pages are not accepted, even if they have an official stamp. Translations from an accredited translator based in Australia must also be presented if the documents are not written in English.
If you can't provide sufficient documents
If you are genuinely unable to satisfy each category, you may need to complete an Evidence of Identity Verification form - phone 13 10 84 for more information. Inconvenience or expense is not a satisfactory reason for this exemption.
Category A - evidence of existence
The following documents are acceptable:
- an Australian full birth certificate showing parental details (a Commemorative Certificate, certified copy or extract is not acceptable)
- an overseas birth certificate showing parental details provided a passport or an official Australian travel document is also shown
- a current Australian passport or one that has expired within the last two years
- a current overseas passport with a valid visa; or one that has expired within the last two years linked to a current Australian visa (customer must provide their visa grant notice number)
- a Certificate of Identity or a United Nations Convention Travel Document issued by the Australian Passport Office (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade)
- a document for travel to Australia (DFTTA) issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection
- an Evidence of Australian Citizenship Certificate or a Citizenship by descent (Extract from Register of Citizenship by Descent) document or an Adoption in accordance with the Hague Convention on inter-country adoption document
- a current or expired Australian Government ImmiCard issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) such as:
- Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS)
- Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE)
- Residence Determination (RDI)
- Australian Migration Status (AMS)
- an Extract from Register of Citizenship by Descent issued by an Australian embassy where parents are Australian-born
- photograph and/or signature stored on the Registrar of Motor Vehicles photographic licence database
- South Australian or Federal Police Officer photo identity card
- South Australian proof of age card issued after 9 October 2006
- Australian photo driver's licence or learner's permit that is current or has expired within the last two years.
Category B - evidence of identity
The following documents are acceptable:
- proof of age or photo ID card issued by an interstate government authority
- current Medicare card, Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veterans' Affairs entitlement card or any other current entitlement card issued by the Australian government
- telephone, gas or electricity bill up to six months old
- water rates, council rates or land valuation notice up to twelve months old
- Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilian staff and family)
- evidence of enrolment to vote from Australian Electoral Commission up to two years old
- student identity document from an Australian educational institution, with photograph and/or signature, that is current or expired up to twelve months
- Australian-issued security guard or crowd controller licence showing photograph
- occupational licence (Consumer and Business Services) showing photograph
- armed services discharge document up to twelve months old
- Australian-issued firearms licence showing photograph
- current credit or debit card that shows the embossed or printed name and signature, or account card from a bank, building society or credit union, or a passbook up to one year old
- completed MR1418 Confirmation of residential address and signature to enrol a client with the Registrar of Motor Vehicles form or a letter up to one year old from a bank, building society or credit union that shows your full name and demonstrates your signature has been verified by the bank, building society or credit union.
Evidence of residential address
You need to supply only one of these documents if your residential address is not included on a category A or category B document:
- current South Australian vehicle registration certificate
- South Australian driver's licence or vehicle registration renewal for the coming period
- contract of sale, lease arrangement or rental receipt for your place of residence up to two years old
- last or current financial year Australian Taxation Office tax assessment
- certificate or statement of enrolment from an educational institution that is up to one year old
- letter (up to one year old) signed by the principal, deputy principal or head of school of a recognised educational institution, or a person with authority to sign on their behalf, on the institution's letterhead which verifies your address
- completed MR1418 Confirmation of residential address and signature to enrol a client with the Registrar of Motor Vehicles form (available from a Service SA customer service centre)
- letter (up to one year old) from a bank, building society or credit union that shows your full name and demonstrates your residential address has been verified by the bank, building society or credit union (statements and screenshots from financial institutions are not acceptable with, or without, financial institution branch stamps).
Evidence of change of name
The following documents must be presented to record a change of name:
- full evidence of identity in either your current or former name (or an Australian driver’s licence or a South Australian proof of age card issued after 9 October 2006);
AND one of the following documents as a “linking” document:
- birth certificate issued by an Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (showing name at birth and the new name) (note: you must obtain the certificate in the State you were born);
- marriage certificate issued by an Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (note: you must obtain the certificate in the State in which you were married);
- change of name certificate issued by an Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages;
- divorce papers Decree Nisi or Absolute (indicating the name being reverted to);
- an Australian Government ImmiCard (current or expired) (Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) or Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE) or Residence Determination (RDI) or Australian Migration Status (AMS) issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) indicating the previous name on the reverse;
- Deed Poll certificate (previously issued by the Lands Title Registration Office);
- foreign birth certificate or foreign marriage certificate or foreign change of name certificate or foreign divorce papers Decree Nisi or Absolute (indicating the name being reverted to) (only if the certificate or divorce papers have an apostille stamp or are accompanied by an apostille certificate);
Evidence of a body corporate premises address
The following are accepted as evidence of residential address for a body corporate premises:
- contract of purchase, current lease or rental document for relevant premises
- current vehicle registration certificate
- vehicle registration renewal notice
- current council rates notice
- current land tax valuation notice
- a water rates notice issued within the last 12 months
- a telephone, gas or electricity bill issued within the last six months
- a quarterly or yearly Business Activity Statement or Instalment Activity Statement (PAYG) which has been pre-printed with the body corporate/organisation's name and correct address as issued by the Australian Taxation Office (issued within the last 12 months - tax file number must be blacked out where this is shown).
Evidence of a body corporate garaging address
If the garaging address of the vehicle is different from the residential address for the body corporate, evidence of where the vehicle is garaged is required:
- certificate of title
- contract of purchase, current lease or rental document
- Australian Taxation Office assessment notice in relation to the premises for the last or current financial year (please black out your tax file number)
- current council rates notice
- utility account up to six months old.
Requirements for recreational boating
- you must provide evidence of your residential address, which can be anywhere in Australia.
- as no photographic or signature records are maintained for recreational boating, full evidence of identity is required for a duplicate copy of a motor boat operator's licence, special permit to operate a recreational vessel, or a motor vessel registration certificate.
If the application is sent by mail, the evidence of identity documents may be copies certified by a Justice of the Peace.
- an interstate photo motor boat operator's licence is acceptable as a category A document, but if the licence doesn't have a photo, it will only be accepted as a category B document.
Translations explaining what documents are required for evidence of identity:
Send your enquiry to Service SA and we'll respond within five business days.
- Registration and driver's licences - 13 10 84 (8.00 am to 6.00 pm)
- General government information - 13 23 24 (9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
- Overseas callers - +61 8 8463 3490